Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Ashes

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

it was ok
Read 2 times. Last read June 22, 2011 to June 24, 2011.

2.5 stars out of 5

The story:

Alex, has a brain tumor. She does not want any more treatments, is tired of hospitals, treatments, and false hope. So, when you are questioning your own survival, what do you do? You go on a “survival” trip! Ok. We straight here? Good.

So, Alex is in the woods. She is just minding her own business, being the withdrawn, moody teenager, when she meets 8 year old Ellie and Ellie’s grandfather. We don’t need to go into the details of Ellie but let’s just nickname her “superbrat”.

Ok, so big zap, WTF, weird electrical zipzap stuff happens and this big bad pulse kills Ellie’s grandfather. Oh shit.

Ellie survives the zap, and Alex not only survives the zap but also regains her sense of smell, (which she had lost due to her brain tumor). But oh no, just wait, now she is a living bloodhound. Her sense of smell is off the charts. She can sense more than your basic BO, let’s just say Alex’s nose knows all! (sorry couldn’t help it).

Ok, nothing wrong here. Alex and Ellie, I mean superbrat, are surviving, moving along, surviving when they run into other teens. But wait, these aren’t your average everyday teens, they are zombies! Yikes! Seems there are 3 outcomes to the big zap, 1) you survive with no side effects or heightened side effects, 2) you die or 3) you become a flesh eating zombie.

And here is my warning to you- these zombies love slurping gooey eyeballs, sucking fresh intestines right out of the dying body cavity and it is all detailed in black & white. So, if you don’t have a strong stomach (or intestines) you might want to skip this book.

Now, don’t worry, we have a boy coming into the story (it couldn’t just be two young girls surviving, that would be boooorrrrinnng right?). Let us introduce Tom, he happens to be a explosive ordinance disposal expert. No problem, we’ll need a bomb expert later in the book. It’s a good thing one survived! Oh, and if you are worried about medical problems or surviving in the wilderness, don’t you fret! Our girl Alex happens to have a Mom (sorry she is dead now) that was a doctor and a dad (that was a cop, also dead). What does that mean? Alex is skilled in sewing up her dinner (long story) and shooting guns, rifles and other weapons! It is amazing how these characters always have the perfect past to survive in these dystopian novels.

Ok. So no problems here. Ellie, who is no longer superbrat, she is now a halfway decent kid, Alex, and Tom make a decent living in the woods. All is fine and the story is not that bad. In fact, up until this point….. 4 stars.

AND THEN THE BOOK GOES TO HELL!

After Ellie and Tom disappear (long story), Alex finds herself in this weird cult. I cannot even tell you what the hell the 2nd half of the book is about but it was so strange, and so WTF, that I kept thinking it must have been written by someone else.

Overall

I don’t know what happened to this book. It was fine. Not the best I’ve read, pretty predictable, very unrealistic but I’ve come to expect that in dystopian novels. The 2nd half of the book just was awful. Simply awful. Nothing redeeming about it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashes.

June 1, 2011 – Shelved
June 22, 2011 – Started Reading
June 22, 2011 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
June 22, 2011 –
5.0% "I didn't mean to start reading this. It kinda just happened."
June 23, 2011 –
28.0% "Yes, it is another zombie book. Deliciously graphic. How about a nice hand in the stomach or a bit of intenstines to slurp up. No? Maybe a nice thumb in the eyeball..those always taste good!"
June 23, 2011 –
30.0% "Note to self- find a local chapter of Zombies Anonymous. I clearly have some type of addiction to Zombies. 4 zombie books in less than 15 days. That is so wrong! Do I have a secret desire to much on body parts? Who knows. hmmm... I'm hungry."
June 23, 2011 –
50.0% "Good book. A few small issues with it but overall fun."
June 24, 2011 –
81.0% "This book picks up speed tremendously after about 70%. If you look closely at the science behind the book, I'm sure we'll find lots of holes. However, I'm still enjoying it."
June 24, 2011 –
100.0% "Pretty good!"
June 24, 2011 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
June 24, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 25, 2011 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Wendy Darling I know, I just got a bunch of good ones today. It's good that we're all starting different ones so we can figure out which ones are worth reading!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I agree. I just kinda glanced at this one and before I knew it, I was at 5%. I guess it grabbed me from the beginning. I guess that is a good sign. I gotta go see what you are starting with.

Wendy Darling This one looks promising! I almost started this one, too...but now you get to be the guinea pig first. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "This one looks promising! I almost started this one, too...but now you get to be the guinea pig first. :)"

All right, I guess I will, especially since you've been the guinea pig on so many others for me!

Shelley Maya, Wendy and Michelle..you are truly bad influences on my choices of books I've put on my TBR file. :O)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Maya, Wendy and Michelle..you are truly bad influences on my choices of books I've put on my TBR file. :O)"

Yeah!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Wendy, I have a feeling you're going to like it. That is, if you're not tired of zombies yet. :)

Wendy Darling Yay Shelley! :) And no, I'm not tired of zombies Maja. I've started getting a little nervous about admitting I'm reading yet ANOTHER one, though.

Shelley Ok, so, I just asked for this book. Hopefully I'll get it shortly. Thanks Ladies for the recommendations! I totally appreciate it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "Yay Shelley! :) And no, I'm not tired of zombies Maja. I've started getting a little nervous about admitting I'm reading yet ANOTHER one, though."

Eventually, we'll run out of zombie books right?

Shelley Or, maybe I'll write one! LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Ok, so, I just asked for this book. Hopefully I'll get it shortly. Thanks Ladies for the recommendations! I totally appreciate it."

Shelley, hopefully you can join us!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Or, maybe I'll write one! LOL"

Even better.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Nah, they're just becoming popular. Diana Rowland's zombie books is being released in a week or so. That's one I can't wait to get my hands on.

Shelley Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Or, maybe I'll write one! LOL"

Even better."

I definitely have thought about it, seriously. All I need are a small group of beta readers to toss things around with and I'm good to go.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalker wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Or, maybe I'll write one! LOL"

Even better."

I'm always willing to be a beta reader. :)

Shelley Awesomeness. You're the bestest Michelle :O)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Awesomeness. You're the bestest Michelle :O)"

ahhh..thanks Shelley! Same to u!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Is it just me or was the first half better than the second?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Is it just me or was the first half better than the second?"

no you are right. I missed all the gooey, slurpy zombie fun.

Wendy Darling "Soon?" *taps foot*

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: ""Soon?" *taps foot*"

I'm being so bad with my reviews. My daughter's water polo team is taking up all my spare time. Working on the phone/computer in the damn sun is hard! I promise this weekend!

Shelley Water Polo? Really? How extremely cool! I wish that was a sport when I was going to school in the.....:;cough::

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Water Polo? Really? How extremely cool! I wish that was a sport when I was going to school in the.....:;cough::"

It is vicious. My daughter comes home with bloodied scratches all down her legs, bruises, pinch marks. The girls go after each other under water (where the referees can't see. Including my daughter, she had skin and blood under her nails this morning after a scrimmage and I knew exactly where it came from- she is called "the beast" and her dad loves it!). Other than that, it is a fun game to watch and these girls are so fit. But damn it takes up my time!

Shelley Definitely more of an agressive sport than say Lacrosse which I used to play. I still have the scars after a few "accidents."

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Definitely more of an agressive sport than say Lacrosse which I used to play. I still have the scars after a few "accidents.""

That is a crazy sport as well. I just think water polo is aggressive because the girls get away with it. It is like a right of passage. No girls will tell on the other team regarding what they are doing under the water until it becomes obvious (usually you'll see blood in the water).

Ok, I finally wrote my review! A wee bit late..lol!

Wendy Darling At last! :) Ugh, what a weird book. I still can't believe how bad it got.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Wendy Darling wrote: "At last! :) Ugh, what a weird book. I still can't believe how bad it got."

I was thinking that when I was writing my review. It is almost unbelievable how the book changed.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "...these zombies love slurping gooey eyeballs, sucking fresh intestines right out of the dying body cavity and it is all detailed in black & white. So, if you don’t have a strong stomach (or intestines) you might want to skip this book. "

I so do not! Had it on my wishlist, but removing it. I get how some would be okay with it...adds to the realism and all, but I'm just not one that could hang.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead --- 365andMe wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "...these zombies love slurping gooey eyeballs, sucking fresh intestines right out of the dying body cavity and it is all detailed in black & white. So, if..."

This book would not be for you then! It was surprising that with the graphic nature of the "eating", that it still was a YA. I don't mind, I like gross stuff! But I do know some have weak stomachs. My best friend growing up would get sick if she even saw a bloody nose!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree and I don't understand how I could be so squeamish. I love realism. I love horror that has a major boo-factor going for it. Go figure.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead --- 365andMe wrote: "Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "This book would not be for you then!"

See I do better with gore than boo. I end up covering my eyes if I watch a spooky boo type of movie but if you give me Saw, Texas Chain Saw massacre, Friday the 13th, I'm totally into the blood and guts and all that. Just don't startle or spook me! In other words, if you are going to kill me, do it so I can see it coming!

Ok, off to clean my entire lawn off of me!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle R, the Bookshelf Stalking wrote: "In other words, if you are going to kill me, do it so I can see it coming! "

LOLOL!