Sarah's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Jun 01, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: teen, fantasy

Dixon's YA retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale leaves much to be desired for its intended audience. The writing, though verbose, reads as if meant for a tween audience rather than the more mature teen readers to whom it's marketed. Additionally, I had a hard time figuring out the time period for this - some clues hinted at a medievalish setting, but then guns were mentioned. That threw me. Also incongruous was the dialog; I often felt I was reading about teen girl characters plunked down into a castle.

I had another qualm in that Dixon took on too many main characters: the majority of the twelve princesses (with the exception of Azalea, our protagonist) are defined by one characteristic, leaving them very two-dimensional. As a group, they seemed like a generic moving mass of girls without much to differentiate them. They lack agency, though they subvert their mandated mourning by taking up dancing with the Keeper in his secret magic land within the palace.

All together these elements provided me with an uneven and distracting tone that prevented me from really enjoying this book. Disappointing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

June 1, 2011 – Started Reading
June 1, 2011 – Shelved
June 1, 2011 – Shelved as: teen
June 1, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 3, 2011 –
0.0% "It's reading a little... young(?) for a teen book so far."
June 4, 2011 – Finished Reading