Jay Daze's Reviews > Glory Road

Glory Road by Robert A. Heinlein

did not like it
bookshelves: fantasy, sf, hated

An incredibly tension free picnic in the woods with your creepy, nudist/free-love aunt and uncle (both in their sixties with lots of warts and liverspots).

In re-reading Heinlein, who was a favorite in my teens, I've enjoyed being provoked and entertained by a fellow who at his best was able to tell a good story while also holding forth on his pet hobby-horses. But Heinlein doing fantasy was extremely slack and seems to indulge his worst impulses to come to a dead stop and pontificate. There is no meaningful plot to get him to just shut up and tell a tale.

At the beginning I was impatient for him to get out of the real world and start the story. By the end I was grateful when he finally came out of silly picnic world with all those doting female gals and back to planet earth. The first Heinlein that ever bored me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glory Road.

June 1, 2011 – Started Reading
June 1, 2011 – Shelved
June 1, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 1, 2011 – Shelved as: sf
June 1, 2011 –
page 52
18.06% "Groan. Why, oh why did I pick this up?"
page 103
35.76% "Gah, typical dirty old man conundrum for Gordon. He is offered three females: one 13, one 18 and their mother. He turns them all down cause he's a total gentleman and they flee crying and pissed off. Most likely Star will be upset for not bedding at least one of them - offending local customs. Funny how that always happens in a Heinlein universe..."
page 113
39.24% "Yup I was right and there is much talk of spanking. Very embarrassing."
page 122
42.36% "So back to the farm to learn the ways of love and how puritanical the U.S. of A. is. "I walked out of the steam room whistling "The Best Things in Life Are Free" - then chopped it off in sudden sorrow for all my poor, unhappy compatriots cheated of their birthright by the most mammoth hoax in history." Free love Heinlein in full flight. (Though it is noted that 'Latins are lousy lovers.')"
page 129
44.79% "Star to Gordon: "But we were speaking of Earth. Not only is whoring unknown elsewhere, but it permutations are unknown - dower, bridal price, alimony, separate maintenance, all the variations that color all Earth's instincts - every custom related even remotely to the incredible notion that what all women have an endless supply of is nevertheless merchandise, to be hoarded and auctioned." Thus this fantasy world."
page 140
48.61% "Oh shoot me now. No sense of tension or danger. Now they've decided to get married. She's just knocked out that he'd want to marry her cause she a "bitch" by the standards of his world. Good god."
June 2, 2011 – Finished Reading