Book Gannet's Reviews > Autumn Allure

Autumn Allure by Allie Boniface

bookshelves: 3-5-stars-review, contemporary-romance

3.5 stars.

This was a surprisingly sweet romance. Even though it has a familiar trope of the bad boy and the librarian, their romance is more of a slow-grower than a set of raunchy escapades. There is a bit of heat between them, though, and the lack of suitable seduction is also down to the most enjoyable part of this book: Autumn.

That kid is adorable, but it’s what she brings out in other people that makes her so special. Whether it’s turning Nate’s life upside down and proving to him that he can actually grow up if given a good reason, or proving to Maxine that life is about more than just books (which is clearly a lie ;), or showing that beauty-queen Bethany can be about more than a perfectly presented front, there’s something magical about that little girl.

Away from Autumn, I have to admit I would have liked a bit more evidence of Nate’s emotional struggle and how it felt to change everything so drastically. Other than a few bar-tending moments, we don’t really see any of that from him. I would also have liked to have seen him helping out around the house and learning how to take care of himself and Autumn, rather than it all falling on Max’s shoulders. Likewise, when it came to the romance, it just sort of happened between them. I would have liked to have seen a bit more evidence of growing attraction.

Oh, and Oxford. If Max is really that interested in going to study there, I’d kind of hope she’d know that Oxford isn’t in London – it’s in Oxford, which is a city over fifty miles away from London, in the county of Oxfordshire. London has an Oxford Street, but Oxford itself isn’t there. (This irritated me, can you tell?)

Small niggles aside, this is a lovely romance with a vulnerable child right in the heart of it. It didn’t dig as deep as I might have liked, but I still found plenty to enjoy, and hope this isn’t the last I’ll get to read about Pine Point.

(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn Allure.

August 15, 2016 – Shelved