Merry Farmer's Reviews > We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals

We Two by Gillian Gill

On the one hand, I enjoyed this intimate look into the lives of Victoria & Albert. On the other, I found the author to be horrifically biased against Albert. Her obvious 21st century feminist attitudes repeatedly came out when she made accusations that Albert was self-absorbed, dictatorial at home, and misogynist, then quoted primary sources to back up her claims that painted him as nothing more than your average 19th century husband who thought he knew what was best based on the world he lived in and the way he was raised. I also found the authors utter lack of sympathy for the obvious and deep depression suffered by both Albert and Victoria at various points in their lives--particularly Victoria's grief at Albert's death--callous in the extreme. I'm sorry, but whether you're a 19th century royal or a 21st century average Joe, it is not selfish and petty to feel the loss of a loved one to your core. Neither is clinical depression--which other books I've read as well as primary source material seem to indicate Albert suffered from--a lack of character or sign of a manipulative nature.

Overall, this book strongly gave me the sense that both Victoria & Albert would have been happier if they'd been born to the middle class. Certainly Albert would have.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Two.

August 15, 2016 – Started Reading