Samantha's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

May 31, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance
Read from June 10 to 12, 2011

This book has the grittiness that I loved about the early Laurell K. Hamilton books. Frost isn't afraid to write about blood, death, and other unsavory things. Yet she does it in a way that doesn't make it trivial to the plot. The characters react in the own ways to it all and its pretty believable.

Cat was also surprisingly a very interesting character. She's a strong and witty heroine who manages to come across as vulnerable without sacrificing the validity of those character traits in the process. She's half-vampire and has been told by her mother that she's got evil in her. So she has this overblown concept that if she makes even the smallest misstep she could become a monster. In order to atone for that she goes out and kills vampires. One night while cruising for her next vampire kill she runs across Bones, who believes she is working for the villain of the story. In order to get information out of her her takes her captive and discovers what she is. She's determined to see all vampires killed and he's determined to kill one vampire in particular. Through this they form a tentative alliance with each other in order to take out a vampire who has been capturing women and selling them as sex slaves/food to other vampires.

Bones is what really made this story for me. He's clearly based off of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but Frost adds enough of her own touches to the character that makes it work for her story. Because of this I would definitely recommend this series for Spike fans who are having withdrawals with the series no longer being on air.

This was an excellent start to the series. I only wish that it could have of ended on a more satisfying note than it did. The story ends on set up for the next installment in the series. And I hate it when books do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.

06/10 page 120