Matt's Reviews > Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival

Crazy for the Storm by Norman Ollestad

5520784
May 31, 2011

Read in March, 2012

I didn't have really high expectations for this book and I was very suprised at how much the story grabbed me for some reason.

The length of the chapters and momentum of the story was very well done I thought.

This part was a big shame I thought.

"God I will believe in God if I survive.." -words to that effect. He survives gets down. Miraculous for an 11 year old having just gone through what he went through. Saw the medow from a place where it was not visible! A woman who lived close by thought she heard the plane crash (impossible due to distance and storm - actually heard the snow plough) went for a walk with her son in the bad weather and her son ends up finding Ollested!
"I asked her why she went there. Just had a feeling, she said"

STILL He see's nothing miraculous in that. Man alive, I see the hand of God all over it, and thats why I love reading true stories.

"Nick thanked God I was alive. I remembered the deal I had made-that if I made it down I'd believe in God-but it didn't seem like God had anything to do with my making it down. Instead I thanked my dad."

Thats good that he recongnised his earthly father, but very sad he didn't keep the deal with his heavenly Father.

I loved the way his father made good of all the good and bad situations! That was an inspiring.

His father preparing him for this challenge.. all of that was good stuff.

"I don't knowif my father was right or wrong to raise me wht way he did. It does seem reckless. But when I delve into those memories, extracting the details, it doesn't feel reckless. It feels like life as I know it. Raw and wild and wonderfully unpredictable. Perhaps my reaction can be explained as mere conditioning-my father condidtioned me to feel comfortable in the storm."

"The sand filled out the high arches of my feet, balancing me. In the hiss of the surf whispered my dad, asking me to trust that heaving wave in Mexico, trust that the ominous wall would bend and wrap me in its peaceful womb, revealing everything essential, a dream of world of pure happiness- beyond all the bs. Off the point at Topanga beach I stared into the eye of a distant wave. Somewhere in the oval opening I grasped what Dad had always tried to make me see. There is more to life than just surviving it. Inside each turbulence there is a calm" His name is Jesus Ollested..

I like the part where he rides the tube outside the mexican village "The ominous wall had nent and wrapped me in its peaceful womb. I was buried inside a thing that could maim or kill me, yet was cuddling me now- I was stretched between panic and bliss." His Dad says "Youve been to a place that very few people in this would have ever gone, someplace beyond all the bulls$%&."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy for the Storm.