Caleb's Reviews > The Domino Pattern

The Domino Pattern by Timothy Zahn

Dec 20, 2016

bookshelves: library
Read from December 13 to 19, 2016

I've never not enjoyed a book by Timothy Zahn. This Quadrail series is particularly good. Scifi adventure and a healthy mix of Murder on the Orient Express. Do you like either? You should try it! Start with Night Train to Rigel.

Book 4 of a series needs to change up the formula to stand out, and this one does not disappoint. Instead of heading to a planet or station or two, the entire book is on board a (space) train across the galaxy. Nowhere to escape when something goes wrong, so find the perpetrator before they do it again! The regular villain may not be behind the things you expect this time, so the mystery keeps you guessing more than usual.

My only regret is that now there is only 1 book left! I think I remember reading in an interview (or podcast) he was planning 8 books, one for each of the major alien powers, which would have been pretty cool. Pity that didn't work out. I like it when an author's universe is big enough that there's plenty to do -- it feels cheap when they just tack things on to the end. "Hooray you defeated the Ultimate Evil according to prophecy. [next book] Oh hey there's a new bad guy in a different land and he's worse."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Domino Pattern.

12/20/2016 marked as: read