Bill's Reviews > The Origins of the War of 1914

The Origins of the War of 1914 by Luigi Albertini

M 50x66
May 31, 2011

bookshelves: currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Origins of the War of 1914.

May 31, 2011 – Started Reading
May 31, 2011 – Shelved
June 3, 2011 –
page 150
7.14% "John Keegan says this three volume work is the authoritative history of the origins of WWI. This volume begins at the Conference of Berlin in 1875 and goes to the eve of the killing in Sarajevo. The page total is for all three volumes. It is an excellent book and I am learning a lot. I know very little about this era. I wonder how long it will take me to finish all three volumes?"
June 30, 2011 –
page 233
11.1% "It's terrific but my law school texts weren't this thick. I just got through the annexation of Bosnia-Herzegovina by Austria-Hungary. Starting trouble for themselves."

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Lagow How is this one?

Bill I am on page 140. The author starts the book with the Berlin Conference of 1875. This begins a very detailed narrative and analysis of politics between the European powers with more emphasis on Italy than is found in most sources. There is extensive use of primary sources including letters, conversations between principal parties and long sections of treaties such as the Triple Alliance. It is a fascinating book but all of the detail makes the reading go slow. This volume ends at the eve of the Sarajevo murder. There are two more volumes that go from there to the beginning of the war.

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Lagow It sounds worthwhile--I'm sketchy on that period of European history.

Bill Don't you love the cover. That is not the Bobsey twins. It is Nicholas II and George V of England. They look closely related to me.