Angela's Reviews > Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming

Merchants of Doubt by Naomi Oreskes

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, science, reviewed

I received a copy of this book through the Goodreads Giveaway program. It was free to me and mailed within the week that I won the drawing.

I knew this book would take me longer to read than a fictional novel. The content is very dense and thorough. The pace and content are presented similarly to a thesis paper. Not only once is an issue mentioned, but multiple times, in multiple ways. All the issues which include tobacco smoke, second-hand smoke, acid rain, Rachel Carson's DDT, Ozone Layer, and Global Warming, are tied together with many references and factual accounts.

The research these authors did for this book is extensive. It is a story that goes back to the 1950's and also includes older scientific evidence/scientists that have contributed to today's technologies, experiments, knowledge, and tough problems needing to be solved.

Overall, I liked this book because it is educational and exposes the dishonesty and manipulations people have the power to use when they become full of themselves and forget the rest of the world. The points of view are very democratic/liberal and very strong at times against the conservative side (not that that's bad or good). All good stories however have a bias and an opinion I believe especially one's that are scientific and academic. Simply, there had to be an argument. The authors do an okay job presenting both sides of the arguments and their faults and strengths so the reader can decide for themselves what actually has happened in the world and what is still happening.

This book is better read during quieter times in your days. It takes much concentration and processing. The editing was perfection in this book. The subject matters stick with you and you walk away more aware and more conscious of the way the people with power in this world abuse their status. That's what I got out of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Merchants of Doubt.

May 31, 2011 – Started Reading
May 31, 2011 – Shelved
May 31, 2011 –
page 15
4.08% "So far, a dense scientific book that I'm not use to. Very fascinating and eye opening to the point where I realize I need to read more books like it!"
June 1, 2011 –