Bob Craghead's Reviews > The Forgetting Moon

The Forgetting Moon by Brian Lee Durfee

In one intricate woven tapestry of amazing talent, Brian Lee Durfee in his brilliantly written debut novel “The Forgetting Moon” joins the likes of great writers: George R. R. Martin, Stephen King, David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Orson Scott Card, Neil Gaiman and even the Godfather of Epic Fantasy J. R. R. Tolkien himself, and stands shoulder to shoulder with each of them. I was blown away by this book. I was humbled by his talent. I was captivated by his words. I was mesmerized and deeply drawn in by his story lines. Durfee’s writing has a depth and a richness that is not easily found, nor mastered.

Artists see and notice things. They see things the rest of us don’t. Or maybe they see things the rest of us can’t. They see how things fit together, how things work, how things look, how things are. And then they capture them; and through pictures, and with words, and other mediums, they illuminate everything for the rest of us. The fact that Durfee, is an established professional fine artist and illustrator becomes apparent very quickly in his writing. His words create vivid pictures, and those pictures, create an intricate, meticulous, and comprehensive world. It’s not that he just gives a lot of detail to the surroundings, scenery, and characters he describes, he does so in a non-excess and overburdening way where things come to life and you are able to transport yourself into the scene and see things the characters see. You feel you are there with them. And each scene is differently detailed. What I mean by that is sometimes writers tend to use the same set of words to describe scenery, surroundings, and even characters. Durfee meticulously does not, and by so doing creates a vibrant and a vivid account of a world that is a pleasure to get lost in. A world filled with different races and species with individuals where no one is totally good or totally evil, but all are various shades of each. And at the heart of everything is an all-encompassing religion which is the center of everyone’s life, thoughts, and essence, although each of them live and interpret it differently. The whole concept, and Durfee’s careful unfolding of the entire thing, is very intriguing and fascinating.

At the heart of all great writing are the characters within a work, and Durfee writes each one of his with such richness, depth, and intricacies that they come alive and you are able to love them and despise them simultaneously. You see their personalities and their strengths, but you also see their flaws. At times you even find yourself yelling at them through the pages shaking your head at the things they do, but you come know them. And you love them all, even the seemingly sinister and despicable ones.

Unlike many fantasy writers who shy away from the horrors of war and often portray sword wearing and sword play as more of a gentlemen’s sport, Durfee understands that when people swing swords and other weapons at each other in combat, those weapons are going to connect with flesh, and they are going to cut, and when they do, blood and entrails inside the human body will spill out. And it’s brutal. And it’s horrible. And it’s often disgusting. War is never a fun thing. And Durfee explores this, painting a picture of the realities and the horrors of war, but he does it in a way that is not gratuitous, but real. And this sounds crazy given the subject matter, but his artistic eye and talent shines here as well. At times his descriptions of blood and gore are so well done, they are artistic and beautiful. But Durfee is not content to just masterfully describe the graphic violence of blood and guts and all that entails, he also adeptly explores the psychological factors that "eff people up" who are involved in it, both the victims and the perpetrators. And I really appreciated that he does not shy away from this.

This book is fantastic and fabulous. It is a page turning, complexly crafted piece of art that really makes you think and examine carefully all that is going on as you lose yourself within its pages. The ending makes you scream to the empty room, where you have spent the last several hours in, lost to time and reality, and you find yourself instantly scouring the internet searching for any clues as to when the next book will be out. And then you realize that by the time “Blackest Heart” comes out (Summer 2018) you will need to reread “The Forgetting Moon.” And the prospect makes you smile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgetting Moon.

Finished Reading
August 12, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko I am going to check this book out based solely on this review! Great one, B!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Oh wait. I have it on my tbr already :)