Christy's Reviews > Moose: A Memoir of Fat Camp

Moose by Stephanie Klein

it was ok

When I started this book, I thought it would be a quick, easy read to get me out of the reading slump I've been in. I like memoirs, especially when the author has overcome some hard times and learned valuable lessons to pass on to me, the reader. That's what I thought I'd be reading. I thought there would be interesting camp stories-funny ones, painful ones, but entertaining. Well, it wasn't even all about her 4 years at "fat camp" really. She compiled some of her experiences and memories into a year of camp with LOTS of random non-camp tangents. I guess that would have been ok, except it read more like someone rambling on and heading down lots of different trains of thought rather than a well laid out story. My MAJOR complaint, however, is that she never really has that epiphany that transforms her into someone I want to spend time reading about. She doesn't ever overcome the insecurities she describes in detail as a pre-teen/teen. Yes, she is eventually thin, but even says she's still a fat girl on the inside. Throughout the book she talks about her struggles with food obsessions and poor body image, even when she's thin. She writes about dieting and failing at it until she figured out that she could only lose weight for spite or anger. She went to a specialist as an adult and could only lose weight if he scolded her. WTH? Had I known the book was written by someone who still really needs therapy, who hasnt had that epiphany or come to a clearer understanding of where they have come from I wouldn't have wasted my time on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moose.

May 26, 2011 – Started Reading