Sean Higgins's Reviews > The Imaginative World of the Reformation

The Imaginative World of the Reformation by Peter Matheson

bookshelves: art, culture, kindle, reformation

I finished this book a couple years ago but it's been in my "currently reading" list since then. No longer! I read it in preparation for the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017, and I figured I'd post a review today in preparation for Reformation Day tomorrow.

Matheson argues:

"The Reformation...was more a song or a symphony than a system, more lyric than lecture, more a leap of the imagination than one of those social restructurings we are so heartily sick of today. It certainly produced systems, lectures and structures as well, but they were secondary." (loc. 215)

This is not a disparaging word against the solas, it's just that justification by faith alone belonged with abundant life not only clarified doctrines, let alone liberation from self-serving religious authorities. The Reformation gave Protestants freedom to read God's Word, freedom to share communion, freedom from traditionalism and from dualism. It was a freedom to imagine (not outside reality but new concepts of reality) that daily work and survival meant something to God and was a good given by God.

"the Reformation can be seen as an infinitely varied, but coherent and extended, metaphor for the bountifulness of God's grace." (loc. 99)

Should you read this? You should put it in your queue if you've already read a lot of Luther and Calvin first, and if you're interested to see how preaching was (only a) part of how nations were turned upside down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imaginative World of the Reformation.

August 11, 2016 – Started Reading