Ariana's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

May 31, 2011

bookshelves: alternating-pov, dystopia, bad-boy-good-girl, movie-to-be, by-color-gray-ish
Read 3 times. Last read December 2, 2011 to December 5, 2011.

I am always afraid to read a book when I’ve been holding my breath for it to come out. Legend is one of those.
I had high hopes and I am glad to say that my expectations have been met.

I was really eager to meet Day.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about him and I was pretty much intrigued, for lack of a better word.
Even though in the last half of the book he was more or less absent, I got to care more for him and to understand him better (compared to June).
He was an interesting character – he was smart; he had some great physical abilities that kept him alive in the past 5 years; he had a great family he cared about and his love for them was heartbreaking, his desperation so strong.
He was the victim of so many turnarounds and I felt a need so raw to protect him, I wanted to take his pain away, feeling a deep sympathy and sorrow for him.
Also, I liked his friendship with Tess and how he cared about her, how they needed and helped each other.

At the opposite side there is June – as it seemed that she had it all too easily – she was the Republic’s favorite, her brother’s little angel; she thought she could catch Day and she did it in a too easy way. Also her tragedy belonged mostly to the past. I felt like I didn’t witness any of her tragedies and compassion never came.
She lost her parents but I didn’t see a strong connection between them so I didn’t feel her pain.
She lost her brother (and I felt sorry about it because I really liked Metias, as little as I got to know him. I knew he was suppose to die but still I hoped for this to change somehow through the story) but it was all so quick, again I didn’t feel her pain.
What I liked about her is that she kept true to her beliefs until the moment she had some good reasons to not trust any longer the world she was living in. She had her priorities straight – she wanted to catch her brother’s killer and she never let her feelings change what she knew she had to do.
More than that I appreciated her devotion – when she has something in her mind there was nothing in this world that could stop her. She always has a plan and, no matter what, she finds a way to achieve it.

What I liked about this book is the action and turnarounds. I liked how I thought I had it all figured out one moment and then something went terribly wrong. It made me hold my breath through the story and I couldn’t put the book down until the very last page.

Still, I felt there was something missing.
The book is quite short so at the end there was this need for me to find more about the world they lived in. The book didn’t deliver much information regarding the world building mostly because the characters were a bit clueless about everything that was happening around/behind them. This might change in the next installment so I am not complaining too much.

Also the relation between Day and June felt a bit rushed and underdeveloped. I expected a bit more chemistry. The days spent together were not enough for them to grow some strong feeling for each other (even though June didn’t seem like the usual silly girl falling head over heels in love at first sight and then leaving all behind for those feelings – June was definitely better than that and I really appreciated it for a change.)

Now I can’t wait for the next installment. I want to know more about Day, his past, his brother and his dad, I want to know more about June’s family and the biological weapons. I want to see Day and June together, fighting this world… What can I say, my expectations are high again!

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com - Legend
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Pre-reading Thoughts:
I came across Marie Lu's DeviantArt page and I found this cute illustration:
'The making of Legend'

Well, I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see Day (the protagonist) in all those scenes and even more.
Just wait for the day after tomorrow, just wait for the day that will become Legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Marie Lu
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.”
Marie Lu, Legend

Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
May 31, 2011 – Shelved
page 10
December 5, 2011 –
December 5, 2011 – Shelved as: bad-boy-good-girl
December 5, 2011 – Finished Reading
Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
September 22, 2013 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
September 23, 2013 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
September 23, 2013 – Shelved as: arc-galley-or-au... (Other Hardcover Edition)
November 2, 2014 – Shelved as: movie-to-be
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-dark (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-gray-ish
March 22, 2016 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 22, 2016 – Shelved as: recenzii-ro (Other Hardcover Edition)

message 1: by Racquel (new)

Racquel This comes out a day before my birthday. Along with the simple cute cover, great summary, that attention grabbing illustration and best publication date ever, it better not disappoint! haha

Ariana I hope you will enjoy it even more than.
You will have Day for your birthDAY .. ieeei :))))

message 3: by Racquel (new)

Racquel LOL, that's a good one!!

Ariana I hope you'll have a really happy birthday, hun, and all the great books in the world that you wish for ;)

message 5: by Racquel (new)

Racquel A wish can't get better then that. After I finished There You'll Find Me last night and I liked it so much, I'm scared to read anything else because I don't want to read something that will suck. Good books, bad book, bad book, bad book, good book. It's a pattern :p

Wendy Darling Hah, I hope you ladies love it, after all this excitement! :)

message 7: by Racquel (new)

Racquel I got my fingers crossed!

message 8: by Ariana (last edited Nov 27, 2011 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana @Racquel: I liked a lot 'There You'll Find Me' (It was so funny I kept laughing and reading to my husband line after line - he didn't appreciate much my effort since he was trying to sleep, but I couldn't help myself)

@Wendy: Pff, these days I don't know what to expect from the books I am waiting for, but I really, really, I mean reeeeally hope to like this one (if not love, than at least like)

Wendy Darling Did you guys like Divergent? If so, I think you'd probably like this. They were both pretty fun, IMO, though some readers were looking for something different, I think.

message 10: by Racquel (new)

Racquel Wendy Darling wrote: "Did you guys like Divergent? If so, I think you'd probably like this. They were both pretty fun, IMO, though some readers were looking for something different, I think."

I haven't read Divergent (believe it or not, I don't live in a cave :p) Maybe I should read Legend first, so my expectations won't be so high if Divergent is really as good as everyone says.

Ari wrote: "@Racquel: I liked a lot 'There You'll Find Me' (It was so funny I kept laughing and reading to my husband line after line - he didn't appreciate much my effort since he was trying to sleep, but I c..."

It was damn hilarious for sure, I was in my room alone laughing so hard and my sister is poking her head in checking on my sanity :p I t was even really sad at parts, I teared up.

Arlene That comic strip = too funny!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Wait, is Legend part of a trilogy?

Ariana As far as I know, it should be.. not sure about the 'tri' part, as I don't know how many books in the series will be ;))

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! I just found out that Patriot is the second book! Soo excited! Oh, btw, I love your review webpage! Looks great! ;)

Ariana Thanks Lia :)
Also, I can't wait for both the next book and the ecranization of Legend :D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Agreed!!!! Even though it comes out in September, 2012, I'm not sure I can wait that long to find out more about Day.... *dramatic sigh* Bahaha! ;P I love Day!!!! Ahhh!! <3

Okay, I'm calm... mostly... ;)

Brooke (The Cover Contessa) Glad you enjoyed it!

♥Rachel♥ I'm so glad you included Marie Lu's illustrations! I had a tougher time connecting to June too, but I feel her POV helped a little. I'm like the last person to have read this but so glad I did! Wonderful review Ari. :)

Ariana I am glad that you liked it as much as you did (don't worry about being the last one reading it, you'll have to wait less for the sequel).
..And even though I didn't connect with June, I did understand her and thought that she was quite a strong character. I can't wait for the next book now :)

Kristalia I just finished it and it was just awesome ♥♥♥
And i must say: Poor Day...author is mean, very, very mean :P

Ariana Yep, poor him! Can't wait to see what's waiting for him in Prodigy ;))

Kristalia Hahah yeah, me too :D. I can't wait to start it :D
oh and btw, fantastic review A :D

Audrey I think that what you probably actually saw when you unwrapped the chocolate Santa was Saint Nicholas, not a pope.

message 24: by Barry (new)

Barry Hoffman I am the publisher of Gauntlet Press (www.gauntletpress.com). We are publishing a signed limited edition of LEGEND (LEGEND: COLLECTOR'S EDITION) which contains a good deal of bonus material not included in the novel. If you would like a review copy (ARC) of LEGEND: COLLECTOR'S EDITION please send me your name and address to info@gauntletpress.com. We should have the galleys in two weeks. The hardcover signed limited edition will be available in November.

Barry Hoffman (Publisher, Gauntlet Press)

Sarah Agreed about the relationship between them is under-develop

Ariana Yep, but it gets better through the series. ;)

Sarah I havent done reading yet, but could you tell me how can Day be that adorable, he is still 15 after all LOL

Ariana I guess people can never be too young for cuteness ;))

message 29: by Mrs. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mrs. O' Leary I love how you say 'Meet Day' like he's a real person. No, no, I'm not judging. I do it too. :)

Ariana Yup, for me he is all real, like all the book boyfriends I fall for - because my imagination has no limits ;))
I really loved this character to pieces - his insecurity, his suffering, all felt so real and raw. Gooo, Day!