Mark Lawrence's Reviews > Path of Gods

Path of Gods by Snorri Kristjansson

Aug 11, 2016

Finished!

Snorri can turn out a nice line or two.

"the silence spread like blood on a stone"

"His mouth moved, and old words snuck back into the world on a whisper."

One thing I hadn't properly understood until this third book when I quizzed the author is quite how tightly the bones of the story are bound to historical reference (or at least saga reference). Even lines of dialogue are lifted from the thirteenth century accounts of the author's namesake Snorri Sturluson. At one point an archer's bow breaks and he says (something like) "that was the sound of Norway breaking in your hands" which comes from the historical sources. Probably the guy said "bugger" and Sturluson dressed it up two centuries later.

As with the previous book this volume should:

i) be read by someone with a much better memory than me

or

ii) be read immediately after the previous volumes

or

iii) should have a catch-up section

I feel the fault is with me but quite a lot of the time I was a bit confused as to who X was and what his relation to Y was. The roll call is quite large.

One big strength of the tale is the skill with which the landscape, season, and atmosphere are portrayed. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to be cold, wet, and miserable in a Norwegian forest ... now you know!

There are also plenty of battle scenes. Axes are swung, arrows shot, blood spilled. It's entertaining stuff.

The magic content has been ramping up over the trilogy and reaches a peak in the final volume. There are blue-blooded trolls from the get go, and Audun and Ulfar continue their journey toward their destiny.

True to the book's name the gods feature heavily and things come to be Ragnarokish head on the book's final battlefield.

With so many characters, so much action, and a cinematic tendency to swap point of view character in chapter the books stand more on plot, action, and atmosphere than on character. There's plenty of entertaining Norse dialogue but it's the banter of men at war and I never found myself particularly attached to any given character.

All in all it's a fitting conclusion to the trilogy and a refreshing dose of Norse adventure!

Join my 3-emails-a-year newsletter #prizes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Path of Gods.

August 11, 2016 – Started Reading
August 11, 2016 – Shelved
August 19, 2016 –
page 110
36.18% "This was a nice line.\n\n"His mouth moved, and old words snuck back into the world on a whisper.""
August 21, 2016 –
page 241
79.28% ""sharp noises of metal on metal skipping across the sea like flat stones on a lake""
August 22, 2016 –