Ghost of the Library's Reviews > Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey by Fiona Carnarvon

bookshelves: england, downton-abbey, history, library-book

I have a confession to make - i am not a member of the DA fan club..maybe because after awhile it all started too much to sound like a soap opera to me...and i have always been one to prefer facts.
So, it was with a good deal of curiosity and interest, that i borrowed this one from the local library and, somewhat to my surprise, loved it!
The present Countess of Carnavon may not be a professional writer but she does a splendid job of bringing to life the fascinating 5th Countess, Lady Almina.
Of course the wonderful habit of diary keeping and scrapbook making helped in her endeavor, not everyone probably has such easy access to this good a base of research but still, its her voice and her voice alone that succeed in bringing to life this particular period of Highclere and England´s recent history.
I for one especially liked hearing about her work towards assisting WWI soldiers and how many thank you letters and pictures are still preserved at Highclere.
There is of course the story of King Tut - yes it was Almina´s husband that worked with Howard Carter and was the first "victim" of the Pharaoh´s curse (joking btw!).
Anyways i would recommend this for anyone interested in this particular period of english history and also the "trend" of marrying rich heiresses - ultimately that´s what Almina was, even if an illegitimate one by all accounts - because although this is about Highclere, it doesnt delve at all into Downton (for that purpose there are more suitable books out there).
It may have glossed over certain aspects of Almina's life that are less "picture perfect" but let's face it, the big charm of the show and the reason for it's success, was the portrayal of a fairy tale life in a fairy tale castle in an almost forgotten golden age of good manners, butlers and romance, so you can't blame the Countess for carefully selecting what to tell and how to do it - she's family.....we all like to protect our own, don't we?

happy readings

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey.

Started Reading