Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)'s Reviews > The Mystery of Spring-Heeled Jack: From Victorian Legend to Steampunk Hero

The Mystery of Spring-Heeled Jack by John Matthews

liked it

description

Spring-Heeled Jack, described by many as a tall, thin, bounding figure with bat-like wings, clawed hands, wheels of fire for eyes, first caught the public's attention in Victorian London in 1838.

Sightings of this strange and terrifying character quickly spread, yet this strange and diabolical figure was never captured.

Exploring the many legends surrounding this figure, Author John Matthews explains how the Victorian fascination with strange phenomena enabled Spring-Heeled Jack to become the thing of urban legend.

description
"On October 4, 1888, police investigating the notorious Ripper murders in London received a letter. It was one of several purporting to be from the killer, but this one was different. It was signed “Spring-Heeled Jack -The Whitechapel Murderer."

description

This was an interesting little read. It was fascinating to see how hearsay and hysteria by newspapers could have such an effect on the populace. The author uses a lot of newspaper articles from the time, along with witness statements to paint a picture of the Victorian fascination of all things "scary and unexplainable."

The author traces the history from the first glimpse of Spring Heeled Jack right up to the present day Steampunk era. Linking the myth with such Pop Culture figures as Robin Hood, Green Man, and even Punch and Judy.

As I said, I found this interesting for the most part. The early information and newspaper articles being the most fascinating for me. The Steampunk stuff was a bit boring, and I struggled through that part. Overall though, a pretty decent read.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Spring-Heeled Jack.

August 11, 2016 – Shelved
August 11, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-to-review
September 12, 2016 – Shelved as: oct-arcs-to-review
October 14, 2016 – Started Reading
October 15, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fantastic review Eve! :)

⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰ Great review Sweetie :) x

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Aisling Zena wrote: "Fantastic review Eve! :)"

Thanks Darling! :D

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Great review, Eve! xo

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Danielle wrote: "Great review, Eve! xo"

Thanks Darling! :D

message 6: by Candace (new)

Candace Great review, Eve! :)

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Candace wrote: "Great review, Eve! :)"

Thanks C! :D

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy Fabulous review, lovely! xoxo

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Christy wrote: "Fabulous review, lovely! xoxo"

Thanks Darling! :D

A little birdie told me... This looks very interesting.

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Robin wrote: "This looks very interesting."

It was!

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, Eve! :) Sounds really interesting!

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Jessica wrote: "Awesome review, Eve! :) Sounds really interesting!"

Thank you! :D I thought it was!

Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) Great review E. Thanks

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Bgurl (don't h8 me cuz I'm honestful) wrote: "Great review E. Thanks"

Thanks! :D

message 16: by Stacey is Sassy (new)

Stacey is Sassy Great review my lovely. :-) ♥

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Stacey is Sassy wrote: "Great review my lovely. :-) ♥"

Thanks! :D

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,sweetheart!

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Judith wrote: "Great review,sweetheart!"

Thanks Darling! :D

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Awesome review Eve! = ))

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Awesome review Eve! = ))"

Thanks Darling! :D

message 22: by Eyvette (new)

Eyvette Abreu Such an eclectic reader. Fantastic Review Eve :)

Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends) Eyvette wrote: "Such an eclectic reader. Fantastic Review Eve :)"