Robin's Reviews > Dying: A Memoir

Dying by Cory Taylor

Aug 11, 2016

I am a big fan of Cory Taylor, having read and loved her two novels, Me and Mr Booker and My Beautiful Enemy. This is a beautifully written and moving memoir, which alternates between her recounting of her childhood and family relationships to the present, in which she is coming to terms with her imminent death from a melanoma. As I am the same age as her, this memoir resonated with me on many levels.

This is a short book, but there are so many issues touched upon in the author's clear, succinct and unsentimental voice - our avoidance of talking about death, on an individual and wider societal level, the morality of euthanasia, (she has obtained a fatal drug but has decided not to use it), her regrets, religion (or lack thereof), how dying has altered her view of the world and other people, just to name a few. She is fascinated by the whole idea of mortality, and wants to find out as much about it as she can, to prepare herself and pass the knowledge on to others. It's been a 10 year process, so she's had plenty of time, but as she says, 'dying is the hardest thing I've ever done.'

This is the sort of book where it would be so easy to indulge in self-pity or maudlin sentimentality, but the author does neither. It's a book everyone should read, because we'll all be in her shoes sooner or later. (Cory died on 5 July 2016)

If you'd like to listen to her last public interview about 3 weeks before her death, here's the link to the interview, called Dying For Beginners, with radio host Richard Fidler.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dying.

July 27, 2016 – Started Reading