Rea Cobb's Reviews > A Kiss in Time

A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn

May 31, 2011

Read in January, 2011

A Kiss In Time is the first book I have read by Alex Flinn. I saw this in the library returns section and when I read the back it seemed to be a light hearted fairy tale which I thought would make a change from the books I have read recently. I did wonder if I would enjoy this book as I haven't read a fairy tale for a good 15 years now! It is only 371 pages which makes for a good in between book in my opinion.

**PLOT**
Princess Talia pricks her finger on a spindle and is sent into a deep sleep which she can only be awaken from her true loves first kiss, the problem is it is not just Talia but the whole of her kingdom who are put to sleep and after 300 years sleep no one knows the kingdom of Euphrasia even exists until quite by accident a bored 16 year old Jack stumbles upon the kingdom on his search for the beach. Jack and his friend finds that everyone they see is asleep so they take a look around the castle until they find princess Talia who Jack finds beautiful and after his friend dares him to kiss her Talia awakes from her sleep. This is where we should say and they all lived happily ever after but no this is only the beginning of the book.

After Talia's father, the King, is so angry at her for touching the spindle after years of warning she decides to run away from Euphrasia with Jack, but how does Talia cope with the changes that 300 years of sleep have brought such as technology, fashion and planes!!
Will Talia be able to escape the evil witch Malvolia who believes Talia was not awoken by true loves first kiss, will she be able to hide from her father and will she get Jack to fall in love with her ?

***My Opinion***
If you have ever read a fairy tale and wondered what happens afterwards or if you wonder what it would be like to bring it up to date then this is the book for you. The first part of the story is very much like sleeping Beauty but once she is awaken by Jack this is where things start to change. It was meant to be prince charming who awoke the princess but it is just plain Jack from the 21st century!
The way Princess Talia is brought into our era to create the story is something I have not read before. She is introduced to technology which we take for granted which she finds amazing. She cannot understand why females would want to wear clothes which show their stomachs!
It was hard to like the character of Talia in the beginning as she was a spoilt child but as the story grows on you warm to her character and this is when the book becomes very hard to put down.
I have not read a book like this that brings two different eras together and to see how bizarre some of the things we have or do must seem for people in past generations to see.
If I had to describe this book I would say it is a modern fairytale with a little of the traditional fairytale thrown in.

As the book goes on the chapters get shorter which makes it easier to read a chapter here and there. The chapters alternate between Talia and Jack which I really enjoyed and I think this is another thing which helped to make this a gem of a book as we can see what both of the characters think about scenes and things that happen in the book.

If you are looking for an enjoyable easy read but also something different with a little twist I would highly recommend this book to you. I have no negative points about this book it is just something so different to the kinds of books I usually read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kiss in Time.