Regan's Reviews > Void Star

Void Star by Zachary Mason

1973082

liked it

Forgive me, but I can't pick up this book without hearing David Bowie's "Black Star" and needing to sing a couple of bars of it before reading: "I'm a Void Star, I'm a Void Star; I'm not a monst[aa]r, ahhhhh ohhhhh aaaaaa." Singing the song several several times over led me to the totally unstoned conclusion that these works of art categorically belong together. One category under which they fall (for me) is Perplexing Things. Others are Sci-Fi, “Genre Fiction,” Discursive Fiction, Detailed Fodder for RPG DMs.

I admire Mr. Mason immensely. Lost Books of the Odyssey was excellent, and the audacity of a first-time novelist daring to interpolate the greatest story ever told is...well, ballsy. Even as a consummate Ancient Snob I remain duly impressed. LBOTO has nothing to do with Bowie's Blackstar, and yet they both fall under my personal category: In the Presence of Skin-Prickling Genius.

I can’t say that Mason’s second novel impressed me on the same level. He’s got a lot of very smart, interesting, philosophical ideas about time, memory and self-hood going on, but the attempt to reflect those ideas into the form of the novel itself seemed to me overburdened. He had too many good ideas; given more revisions I think Mason could’ve hit that sweet spot where form and content inform each other seamlessly.

I’ll still read everything the man writes. This didn’t thrill me like the first, but it also didn’t leave me in doubt of Mason’s talent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Void Star.

August 10, 2016 – Shelved