Laura de Leon's Reviews > Don't Breathe a Word

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer McMahon

2013736
May 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: nook, netgalley, fiction, blogged
Read from May 30 to June 04, 2011

This is a book where the reader is supposed to be uncertain whether there is something supernatural happening, whether there are bad guys trying to make it look that way, or (just maybe) mental illness is making a fairly normal situation seem completely bizarre.

The problem is that for most of the books I didn't buy any of these explanations. I think this was a deliberate choice of the author, creating a situation that didn't make sense however you looked at it, and throwing in more events that almost (but not quite) fit one explanation or another.

Oh sure, there was more than enough craziness going around, but something more clearly had happened. The possible world of fairies and magic was murky (again, I think deliberately), but there was no clear motivation for someone the be manipulating the situation.

In McMahon's Dismantled, I loved the ambiguity, and I bought (with reservations) both possibilities. I'd hoped for the same here.

I have to say that the book pulled in together in the end, so maybe the fault was in my imagination along the way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Breathe a Word.