Rachel's Reviews > Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits

Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits by Debbie Millman

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

We are now living in a world with over one hundred brands of bottled water. The United States alone is home to over 45,000 shopping malls. And there are more than 19 million customized beverage choices a barista can whip up at your local Starbucks. Whether it’s good or bad, the real question is why we behave this way in the first place. Why do we telegraph our affiliations or our beliefs with symbols, signs, and codes?

Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits contains twenty interviews with the world’s leading designers and thinkers in branding. The interviews contain spirited views on how and why humans have branded the world around us, and the ideas, inventions, and insight inherent in the search.

"Brand Thinking" is a series of interviews with a number of design, brand, psychology, culture and business experts. Each brought their own unique perspective to various topics surrounding branding. This was a fascinating read that was only enhanced by Millman's knack for interviewing. Far more than just exploring how Apple or Nike have achieved near mythical status in the brand world, this book looked at issues of identity and the human experience and deep seated desire and need to belong. An interesting read that was both technical and deeply human.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brand Thinking and Other Noble Pursuits.

August 10, 2016 – Shelved