Shannon's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

May 30, 2011

bookshelves: all-time-faves, absolute-favourites
Read from June 07 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

To say this trilogy is brilliant is an understatement. There are no words that I could think of to describe just how good this series is. Action packed, emotionally charged, intellectually stimulating, absolutely riveting. I could go on, but that would get boring. This is the series that has me choking up in the first book, The Hunger Games, tearing up in the second book, Catching Fire and bawling by the end of the third book, Mockingjay. There is countless heart stopping moments, many cases of “Ooohhh, I get it now!” and “NO WAY! That did not just happen!” This series starts out as an action packed fight for survival, and continues in the same way throughout the next 2 books, but layers of emotional and intellectual elements are continually being added, characters are constantly being tested and relationships continue to evolve.

The characters in this series are some of the most damaged I have encountered yet. The world they live in, relationships, the games themselves. And yet, Suzanne Collins doesn’t give these characters a break. Ever! Just when you think you know about the happy ending that is SURELY going to come, considering all these characters have been through, there is a twist so huge you have to re-think everything. These characters are pushed to the edge and beyond, and don’t come back the same, or completely stable. Many don’t come back at all.

The relationships are also damaged, but somehow beautiful. Finnick and Annie’s story is beautiful because despite her mental stability (or lack of) he still loves her completely and unconditionally. Katniss and Peeter never fully realise the depth of their feelings for each other (Well Peeter does, but Katniss doesn’t) until the very end, but there are still so many *sigh* moments and beautiful moments of desperation and need for these characters, that you can see, slowly developing into deeper feelings between these two. This trilogy is not a love story, but there are so many elements of a love story that fans will not be disappointed. The stand out relationship was between Katniss and her sister Prim. As a reader you get to see Prim grow up through Katniss’s eyes, and her desperation to keep her family safe grows as Prim gets older and becomes more involved in the rebellion. No relationship is left untouched in this series, mother/daughter, sisters, friends, lovers, enemies. I’m not going to even hint at what had me bawling by the end of Mockingjay, because you just don’t see it coming. You never fully understand why. And I think because of that, the impact of shock and disbelief is greater, and therefore makes it a greater read.

After two books solely focused on surviving the hunger games, twice surviving them, it was fantastic to see things really pick up in the third book. Where previously we see the seeds of rebellion and dissolution, Mockingjay really amps up into a full scale rebellious war being waged on the capitol. But it’s not your straight forward good vs. evil battle. Nope. There are yet more twists and heartaches and interwoven in with all this are beautiful little reminders of the humanity behind this tale of political subjugation and rebellion.

This trilogy is full of action, romance, intrigue. I don’t think this review does much to tell you just how brilliant this trilogy is, but I had to try. So I guess the only thing to do now is to go out and read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.