Cathy's Reviews > Seer of Mars

Seer of Mars by Cindy Borgne

May 30, 2011

bookshelves: giveaways, first-reads
Read from June 12 to 14, 2011

When I was in my teens and twenties about 50% of my reading was science-fiction. How or why that stopped I just don't know.
I've been meaning to get back into scifi and winning this book was a good start.
Vallar is the story of Martian colonies ruled by corporations. Marscorp, the largest, has as its goal a return to Earth although immigration is not allowed. Marscorp uses fear and intimidation, sometimes resorting to outright war, to take over smaller corporations and increase its power base. They are ruled by a psychopathic admiral who will stop at nothing to attain his goals. He attempts to use psychics to further his aims.
Ian Connors is a 16-yr-old psychic who tells the admiral of a vision he has had of a hidden mine. A terrible battle ensues - some of which he had foreseen and warned about, to no avail. Ian is disillusioned with Marscorp and attempts to escape.
This was a wonderful re-introduction to scifi. The story line was very good and engaging. The character portrayals were spot on - from the young psychic and the fighters in rival corporations to the despotic admiral who is ruthless in his quest for dominance.
The farther I got into the book the more I was looking forward to a satisfying conclusion and I wasn't disappointed.
Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seer of Mars.