A.M. Justice's Reviews > The Ill-kept Oath

The Ill-kept Oath by C.C. Aune

I know the author, and I read this book in manuscript, but every word of this review is my honest opinion.

C. C. Aune ’s work beautifully captures Jane Austen’s England in a gossamer net of magic and intrigue.

“Prudence cast furtive glances round the salon, taking in the splendor of more gentlemen than she’d seen in her life. The place abounded with broad shoulders, tobacco-scented jackets, and booming male laughter.”

So one of the heroines of The Ill-Kept Oath enters a drawing room filled with prospective beaus, hoping for romance but finding harrowing intrigue instead. Likewise, readers who open this book will find themselves drawn into rich townhouses and grand country manors, where they might expect to find only young women aiming for marriage and hoping for love, but where a pair of old trunks filled with magical items soon drive the plot in a wholly unexpected direction. A talking ring, rampaging trolls, and a secret society of mages and warriors all conspire to lure heroines Prudence and Josephine away from the typical and into the extraordinary. While Aune revels in the fanciful, she keeps her prose and setting firmly grounded in the historical. Beautifully written in Austen-like language, the novel is filled with authentic details, from the delicate choreography of early waltzes to the gory horror of an amputation without anesthesia or antibiotics.

I rarely give out five stars, but this story outdoes Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell in its literary mix of the mannered and the magical. It was one of those novels I truly couldn’t put down—I stayed up late and resented every intrusion by family, friends, and pets until I’d read the final word. I cannot wait to see where the series goes next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ill-kept Oath.

August 1, 2016 – Started Reading