C.G. Drews's Reviews > Call Down the Hawk

Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2019, magical-fantasy, read-2019, young-adult

[grasps fruitlessly for words to describe this phenomenal book] Look, I'll tell it to you plainly: I am obsessed with The Raven Cycle and, quite frankly, all of Maggie Stiefvater's book, and this just filled my heart. It's whimsical and stuffed full of pure dreamfuckery, the kind that twists your mind in on itself a little, in the best possible way. It wasn't wholly what I expected and there was so much in it, I immediately finished and wanted to start again. (NOBODY COULD STOP ME THO IF I DID.) And I know Maggie fought really hard for her health and to write again and that just makes the whole story more precious to me.

This is the Ronan trilogy. This is about the brothers Lynch. This is about dreaming and art and forgeries and the act of lying, intentional and carefully and accidentally. It's here to make you think as well as to be just an entertaining madhouse of wonder and bizarreness. PEAK Stiefvater.

[this is not the raven cycle]
I do think that needs saying? So I said it. Like TRC is my whole life and world, so I do love it more. And yes Maggie says you can read this without TRC and you can...but should you, is this next question. (No.) One thing I felt was that Ronan didn't have much of an arc in this, because we have so so much backstory arc for him, that reading him like his NOW was exciting and wonderful and incredible. But you gotta know his backstory. You do. And this whole book had only a smudge of Adam in it...I have a feeling he'll feature more in book 2? And like, yeah I love Adam, but TRC was his more than it was Ronan's so this makes sense. And grown!college!Adam is so confident and amazing and queer and I love him with all my heart. And, quite frankly, I love that this book is unapologetically queer and doesn't over-sexualise it or make Ronan and Adam into an object. Am I so relieved.

(All that saying...um, yeah I do still wish there had been more of Ronan and Adam. But I'm also wholly content to read this story and accept what Maggie chose. I want to do that more? Just read stories as the author writes them.)

(Also Adam's contact name in Ronan's phone is MANAGEMENT. And omfg every reference to TRC had me screaming. I busted out into anxious happy laughter SO OFTEN I was just !!!!!!! Gansey is currently (view spoiler) and that was so freaking amazing I died.)

[new characters]
There are three main POVs in this: Ronan, Jordan Hennessy, and Carmen Farooq-Lane. Like I don't want to spoil anything!! I am trying so hard for this review!! So all I'll say is that this time we are absolutely crammed full of artists and magic and dreams, and people who wish to kill both dreamers and their dreams. I really loved Jordan Hennessy by the end! obviously I love Ronan most because I've had 5 books with him now. But OMFG THERE'S MORE DECLAN. And I've decided I loved Declan wholly. Slytherin son.

Messy family dynamics and angst are my favourite thing and the Lynch brothers [chef's kiss] are disasters.

(Also Declan was driving and couldn't open his protein bar, so Ronan did for him, and THAT is character development.)

[dreams and their dreamers]
Okay I adored this exploration. And the descriptions of the dreams. I got this with The Raven Cycle too and Adam's scrying...but so much of this book is written about things you...can't write about? Concepts and shapes. Like how do you describe what it looks and feels like in that muzzy moment between sleeping and awake? This book DESCRIBES IT. Captures it. I do a lot of lucid dreaming and sleeping, so I'm like, asleep, but aware of myself. And wowowowow I just really felt the book got that. And there's the dreamer pure wildness and creativity and sheer imagination that I LOVE and crave.

Also the dreams are more messed up. There are new villains and threats. There's this whole magical underground blackmarket to explore. It's fascinating and gorgeous.

[was this book everything?]
Like I was full on pining for it for years and had to keep reminding myself to breath while I read. And it was incredible and I cry, my heart is just so full. I had twinges of things I wanted more of, and slight panics that I love TRC better but I wanted to love this one just as much. BUt dude. Let me read it 4 more times and I'll be right up there with obsessing over it. And the details. And the foreshadowing. So much of this book sets up these threads to unspool into later books and my heart LEAPS with wanting.

I also thought I wouldn't have much to say in this review except "I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT". But. I managed to ramble on. Also...

I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Down the Hawk.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“Does any part of you still look at the sky and hurt?

Maggie Stiefvater
You are made of dreams and this world is not for you.

Maggie Stiefvater
“I want it too much," Adam said. That sentence, Ronan thought, was enough to undo all bad feeling he might have had meeting Adam's Harvard friends, all bad feeling about looking like a loser, all bad feeling about feeling stuck, all bad feeling, ever. Adam Parrish wanted him, and he wanted Adam Parrish.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You want me to trust you? Save her. Really save her. It’s going to mean telling her what you are. It will cost you emotionally."
"Did it cost you to save me?"
There was a long silence. The mist shimmered darkly in the trees. The rain sighed.
Bryde said finally, "You are the most expensive thing I have ever saved.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“This was as Ronan remembered it. Adam's ribs fit against his ribs just as they had before. His arms wrapped around Adam's narrow frame the same way they had before. His hand still pressed against the back of Ronan's skull the way it always did when they hugged. His voice was missing his accent, but now it sounded properly like him as he murmured into Ronan's skin: "You smell like home.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Do you understand? For you, reality is not an external condition. For you, reality is a decision.”

August 9, 2016 – Shelved
August 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 3, 2019 – Started Reading
November 3, 2019 –
page 50
10.59% "I have to put this down a minute because i CAN'T BREATHE and just...just letting my heart beat for a while 😌

also book depository delivered a day early and im sobbing

also this is extremely different to that 8-chapter sampler that went out 👀so start from the beginning even if you've read that sampler!!"
November 4, 2019 –
page 400
84.75% "Ronan and Adam say "tamquam alter idem" to each other because they're ridiculous nerds."
November 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 6, 2019 – Shelved as: best-of-2019
November 6, 2019 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
November 6, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
November 6, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by LostKnight (new)

LostKnight Good review.

message 2: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica I CAN"T WAIT.

Kiera Safford Your reviews always capture exactly what I’m feeling omg, you’re so right with this!!

message 4: by Faye (new) - added it

Faye I haven't read the entirety of your review because I don't want to know anything, in case I get my hopes up, but I have one question. Is a reread of TRC necessary? (Yes.)

C.G. Drews LostKnight wrote: "Good review."

Thanks!

C.G. Drews Jessica wrote: "I CAN"T WAIT."

It is EVERYTHING.

C.G. Drews Kiera wrote: "Your reviews always capture exactly what I’m feeling omg, you’re so right with this!!"

ahhh I'm glad we feel the same way then 😭i still am not over any of this

C.G. Drews Faye wrote: "I haven't read the entirety of your review because I don't want to know anything, in case I get my hopes up, but I have one question. Is a reread of TRC necessary? (Yes.)"

I mean...yes in that TRC needs to be reread a million times to appreciate it's absolute perfection 😌but if you remember all the dreamer and Lynch family history (drama lol) then not so much? However I do think it's important to read the Opal short story first if you haven't!!

message 9: by Faye (new) - added it

Faye Ah thank you for getting back to me! X

Katie  Hanna Ronan and Adam Ronan and Adam Ronan and Adam Ronan and Adam!!!!!!

message 11: by Sage (new)

Sage I have read half of the Raven boys (the first book not the whole quartet) and I'm winding if I can still read this book. I'm not planing on reading any more Raven Boys books, but call down the Hawk sounds like a good book. And I'm wondering if I can still read this book. Can I still read this book?

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Sage wrote: "I have read half of the Raven boys (the first book not the whole quartet) and I'm winding if I can still read this book. I'm not planing on reading any more Raven Boys books, but call down the Hawk..."

um you can read whatever you want?

Elizabeth Iman Torres Not sure because of all the spoilers, Sage.