Pili's Reviews > Flame in the Mist

Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

May 21, 2017

I knew I loved Renee Ahdieh's writing style from her previous duology, but I was once again ensorcelled by her words, descriptions, character and the worlds she creates!

Mariko is a character that might not be entirely easy to love at first, but I simply felt so much for her and her struggles, trying to survive, then trying to get revenge and some measure of freedom and then as she continues to learn things that challenge her world view, trying to find out what she really thinks it right and worth fighting for! She's resourceful, obstinate, passionate and not too prideful to end up admiting when she's wrong.

As I'm not Japanese or have more than a passing knowledge of its culture, I cannot speak of the accuracy of all the cultural details included, but I felt that there must have been so much research done and I felt really immersed into the culture and could almost see, feel, smell and touch the surroundings and every single detail included in the book!

I knew there would be some measure of romance and I really enjoyed it being of the hate to love variety. I expected something that seemed to be wrong but I ended up being proven right when I wasn't really expecting it to be so. Criptic I know, but in case you're as oblivious as me, I don't want to spoil any possible surprises!

There's so much political intrigue going on that is driving the story in ways we don't really put together until quite further on, and so much more both political and magical that is only hinted and partially revealed at the end and that obviously leaves us really wanting so much more!

The ending is rather cliffhangery but at the same time not? It's hard to explain because we definitely are left with everything hanging, with many revelations and parts of the past unexplained but at the same time we're not left in the dark about the fate of the main characters, they're just left at really crappy places, but ready to fight even if we're not sure how they will do it!

Very much deserving of 5 stars! I'm still not sure if I devoured it or if it devoured me, but I cannot wait till I get my hands on its sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame in the Mist.

August 9, 2016 – Shelved
August 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 21, 2017 – Started Reading
May 21, 2017 –
54.0% "There is so much hidden in here... and I suspect even more hidden alliances..."
May 21, 2017 – Finished Reading