Fabian's Reviews > Outlander

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Myriad, albeit smallish, problems with this one... but several surprising & multifaceted splendors as well!

This is an unexpected tome that merges speculative fantasy with true historical events. It does something remarkable in having a target audience that vacillates between YA & the nonFiction prone; in other words, if you are a READER, this one is for you (it's got something for Everyone!).

The sex gets racier and racier, but the adventure starts growing tepid. The antagonist is for sure memorable as a, what? serial rapist. But oh, dang, how both women & men, all sexes, wish to have a dual life!

I've since ordered the sequel. These books have something Thorn Birds-like in their literary audaciousness. Outlander: it's actually pretty hard to hate!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlander.

August 9, 2016 – Started Reading
August 9, 2016 – Shelved
page 330
page 225
page 256
August 18, 2016 –
page 447
August 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Matt A fabulous series! I cannot wait to see what you have to say about this and the other books in the collection.

Fabian Thanks! I am diggin it ("Digging into the narrative" meaning actively reading!)... good times!

Nels I'm still reading Outlander and so far I love it.

Fabian Nels wrote: "I'm still reading Outlander and so far I love it."
Its got a plethora of dips and turns and heights. f

Matt I agree

message 6: by Joe (new) - rated it 1 star

Joe Valdez Fabian wrote: "These books have something Thorn Birds-like in their literary audaciousness. "Outlander": kinda pretty hard to hate."

That might be the best summary of this series that I've read so far. Bravo, Fabian!

Fabian Joe wrote: "Fabian wrote: "These books have something Thorn Birds-like in their literary audaciousness. "Outlander": kinda pretty hard to hate."

That might be the best summary of this series that I've read so..."
Thanks, Joe! f.

John Papadopoulos One of the best reviews! I love the outlander series it is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see what you think of the sequel and the rest of the series

Fabian Johnny wrote: "One of the best reviews! I love the outlander series it is one of my favorites. I can't wait to see what you think of the sequel and the rest of the series"
Got #2. WIll read at Xmas time I think! f

John Papadopoulos Awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as the first one.

Fabian Johnny wrote: "Awesome! I hope you enjoy it as much as the first one."
Have you read all of em?

John Papadopoulos Nope, I've only read up to book 5. Planning on reading ABOSSA (A breath of snow and ashes) book #6 very soon.

message 13: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt So happy to see so many men enjoying this great series!

Fabian Matt wrote: "So happy to see so many men enjoying this great series!"
And gay men like the fact that there is a serial rapist on the prowl in the series. Just kidding. Or am i?

message 15: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt You tell me...

Maroulla I loved all the Diana Gabaldon stories.

Fabian Matt wrote: "You tell me..."
Its pretty unique I suppose. f

Janani(ஜனனி) Yeah, the best book in the series. I loved them so much. But I was disappointed with the second one :(

Fabian Janani wrote: "Yeah, the best book in the series. I loved them so much. But I was disappointed with the second one :("
Noooooooo...! Dont tell me! I will read it in spite of this. I figured with a stellar first in the series it may all go down from there! f.

Tiffany Glad you're moving on to the next in series, although it's probably my least favorite of the series. Really love the third book. No matter what, I think it's hard to keep reading and not become completely involved with the characters.

Fabian Tiffany wrote: "Glad you're moving on to the next in series, although it's probably my least favorite of the series. Really love the third book. No matter what, I think it's hard to keep reading and not become com..."
Oh no! Hopefully #2 is not too much of a... #2. haha. But yeah, I really want to get into them all! The series is: oo lala

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Clemence I have to say it too- #1 is by far the best book in the series. Although there are a few decent ones along the way. Hope you enjoy the experience these books bring!

Fabian Erin wrote: "I have to say it too- #1 is by far the best book in the series. Although there are a few decent ones along the way. Hope you enjoy the experience these books bring!" Thanks, Erin! f.

Matthew I think the increase of the raciness of sex became a bit much when It started to be used as a weapon, but I was able to put that aside and still enjoy the book. Great review! :)

Michael Fierce Great short review, Fabian!

message 26: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Dam thanks for the review. i have doubts about this one. i love fantasy and im also a lover of historic books, even historical fiction. and im totally in for anything XVII - XVIII th century. not so interested in racy scenes or YA tropes. i might give it a try. the tv show is quite good and your review piqued my interest

Carol (Bookaria) I loved Outlander

Stacey The second one is not the best. But they get better and better after that. DG is working on #9 and the series on Starz is excellent.