Lola's Reviews > Lipstick & Lattes

Lipstick & Lattes by Tracy Krimmer

liked it
bookshelves: books-that-i-own, e-books-on-ipad, got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed

I received a free copy from the author and voluntarily reviewed it.

Lipsticks & lattes is a fun and relatively short read. I had fun reading this one. I really like Tracy Krimmer her writing style, the story flows well and it kept my attention the whole time. I did have a few issues and at times felt like some topics could've used a bit more depth or expanding. There is quite a lot going on and at times it felt like not enough space to explore it all. We have Witney who believes in fairytales and hopes for her fairytale romance, her love interest Ed, her best friend Hannah, her family and some tension there, some work troubles and Whitney finding out what she wants from life. There also were a few small plot points that were left dangling a bit and would've liked an epilogue to see how things ended up, although I can imagine that myself and there are hints in what direction things will go.

While I enjoyed reading this book I did have some trouble liking the characters at first, although that got better as the book progressed. Whitney could be a bit judging at times and would act rather harsh or make quick decisions. Some of her behavior bothered me a bit, but mostly I just would've liked to get a bit more understanding why she acted this way. Her best friend Hannah and her roommate Josie seemed nice enough, although I would've liked to get to know them a bit better. There are fun scenes with both of them and I did feel like they really ere there for Whitney and also wouldn't hesitate to tell her when she did something stupid. Ed, the love interest was a very sweet guy and I think he was great for Whitney, but I would've liked to see them talk about a few topics a bit more. And I would've liked to see a bit more Ed his conflict with something in his life and what they do about it, as it felt a bit rushed at times and I would've liked to get to know his feelings on the matter a bit more.

The romance was well done and I liked seeing their relationship develop. There are a few great scenes involving these two, like the latte scene, the tower scene and the scene on the beach which were some of my favorite parts. There was little drama and only a bit of conflict towards the end. I didn't quite care for the conflict and didn't get why one of the characters acted that way. And then the one who didn't cause the trouble was the one who solved it, although it did fit the characters.

I did like the topics this book deals with. Whitney is having a steady job, it might not be the most glamorous, but she does pay her own bills. She isn't quite sure what she wants out of life and what her dreams are, but she does her best to slowly figure it out. I felt her struggles were realistically and I liked seeing her work things through and start to think about what she wants in life. And while she isn't there yet at the end of the book, I did have faith she will get there. There also are some family struggles that felt pretty real, although I would've liked to hear what her little brother ended up doing.

To summarize: this was such a fun read and I easily breezed through this book. I like Tracy her writing style as it makes the book flow well and I enjoy her style. I did have some small issues with a few things and some scenes or topics could've used a bit more depth. It is a relatively short read and I would've liked to see a bit more about some things. The romance is sweet and I liked seeing these two together, there are some great scenes involving them. I did have some trouble warming up to some of the characters and would've liked to understand some of Whitney her behavior a bit better at times. I did really like the realistic portrayal of some topics, like work, dreams and family and how they were addressed in this book. I liked seeing Whitney figure out what she wanted in life. All in all it was a fun read and I do plan on reading more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lipstick & Lattes.

August 9, 2016 – Shelved