Laura's Reviews > Destined

liked it
bookshelves: vampires, not-going-to-be-good
Read from November 06 to 10, 2011

REVIEW DOWN BELOW!!!

Wow. Okay. Cool cover. I mean, there are abs in it. What could possibly go wrong with a hottie like that on the cover?

Ugh. Despite my love for the cover I can already predict that this book is going to be...yet another usless novel.

1) Heath is coming back. Oh Heath, you can be sweet sometimes, but my real feelings for you lie in my hands that want to slap you senseles. YOU WILL GET NO REMORSE HEATH LUCK!

2) Like I said up there, this is not going to be good. The lack of...ANYTHING in Awakened lessens my hopes for this book. The author tried to cram little miniscule bits of info into a book that really, should've never happened. Or at least combined with Burned, to make one huge mistake.

3) There are going to be three more books after this. Yes, just when I thought I couldn't get enough of Zoey's idiotic thoughts, her stupid actions, and her non-existant IQ, I get another three books to burn. Whoop. De. Doo.

But don't be fooled: I will try and enjoy this book, for whatever its worth. I will just: a) Not buy it at a bookstore for 19.99 when I can get it in the trash bin for free (just joking) b) Try to keep my slapping hands away from Heath, and c) ...

I actually don`t have anything for c.

*SLAP*

***

Countdown the Destined! Only 9 more days! (Oh joy. This is why I'm going to guy the Iron Knight before I even touch this book. It would be a disgrace NOT to.)

Let me predict what is going to happen in this book:

1) Another useless character dies.

If only it were this exciting.

3) All of the characters hook up with someone, even if it really wasn't nessecary.

realtionships,desert,alone,forever

4) This book will be a total waste of my time, yet again.

And if there is the slight chance that this book won't make me want to do this....

Or this...

Then I might consider buying the next one.

***

I got the book. And I've just made probably the stupidest, or most obvious realization:

It isn't Stark on the cover. It's Heath.

***

Three stars? Three stars?!?!?!? WHAT IS THIS??????????

There will be a lot to say about this. So hold on tight.

But the first thing I have to say is that all (at least, almost all) of my predictions came true. I will enlighten you all on that later.

But for now, my overview.

Again let me remind you that if I didn't have such strong mixed feelings for this series, I wouldn't be reading this book at all. I went into reading this insult to literature with an open mind; please remember that.

Anyway, onto the ranting.

Destined was a roller coaster ride of good and bad. I was NOT thrilled in having Heath back...even though somehow, magically, he's a sexy beast. Abs? Yes please.

Oh, eh hem, sorry about that.

From the first chapter I already had the urge to smack this book against the wall, and then continue to beat my head against it just to get the last wisps of Zoey's demented lingo out of my mind. I can't stand how she thinks. No teenager in their right mind would ever talk like that. I can't even explain it, its that bad.

So while we're still on the topic of Zoey, I'd like to point out that she's still the same stuck-up stupid biotch she was in the last...what was it...eight books? So don't get your hopes up for a change. The only way I got through this boook is because of the split POV's, because I wasn't stuck in Zoey's small mind and didn't have to imagine words like smushy and ridiculous sentances like I blinked a bunch of times streaming from a should-be-mature teenage mind.
And that stupid "Ah Hell that's like a quirky little catchphrase to you? Not cool.

Throughout most of this book, I actually had to put it down for a while to be able to think properly.

Honestly, this book was a mess. A. Mess. Obviously this book wasn't properly edited. I mean, they barely come out a couple months behind each other. What do they do? Draft a book in a month and then get someone to fill it with incestant angsty teenage babble? There were thousands of gramatical errors, spelling mistakes, and sentances that just didn't make sense .

The only reason it got three stars is because - again - the split POV's made up for it. That's all. And when I say that's all, I mean that's all .

And also while I was reading this, I daydreamed. I wondered what it would be like to have someone who almost tried to kill you in the past be all friendly and cuddly with you in the same room. If it was me, I would just do this:

Whoops.

I also had weird fantasies when Kalona showed up and Shaunee was in the tunnels with him, about them hooking up. No offense, but that would've been totally awesome. I might have even spared half a star if that happened :P.

Also, I'm glad that some of the other characters have love interests, and not just Zoey, who hogs all of the smexy boys for herself. I thought Lebonia and whats-his-face were so cute together, and I also like Stevie Ray and Rephiam together, although it would be fantastic if one of them died, leaving the other tottally and impearably heartbroken and crushed. But you know, thats just me.

*Sigh* And lets not forget how many times the ending of this book has been used before. It goes kind of like this:

We have to make a circle!

Don't break the circle!

DON'T BREAK THE EFFING CIRCLE!

B-but someone is hurt ...

I DON'T CARE DON'T BREAK THE GOSHDAMNED CIRCLE!

... Let's count, shall we?

1) In the first book. Heath is getting attacked by pervert ghosts. DON'T BREAK THE CIRCLE!

2) In the third book. Stevie Ray is biting Aphrodite and could quite possibly kill her. DON'T BREAK THE CIRCLE!

3) In the fourth book. Stevie Ray just got SHOT WITH AN ARROW and is bleeding all over the place. DON'T BREAK THE CIRCLE!

4) In the fifth book. Stark just got SHOT WITH AN ARROW and is bleeding all over the place. DON"T BREAK THE CIRCLE!

5) In the eight book. Rephiam just got mauled by a bull...DON'T BREAK THE CIRCLE!

.................................

Do you SEE the pattern here? I can already guess what the next book will be like. No seriously, if I get another ending like this I will...do something. I don't know what yet, but I will do something about it.

And while we're on the topic of lists, here's another one.

HOW MANY BOYS ZOEY HAS INTERACTED/"CAUGHT THE ATTENTION OF"

1) Heath

2) Erik

3) Loren

4) Stark

5) Kalona

I've anazlyzed this list, and have come to the conclusion that Zoey is not entirely human. She is, due to the excessive ammount of male attention she is getting, (even though she has the IQ of a rock) A ROBOT!

Yes, I am almost positive now...

***

Anyways, like I said before, almost ALL of my predictions came true. I am actually shocked; I didn't know I was that psychic...and instead of ruining the book more than I already have for those who haven't read it yet, I'll just do this:

1) Another usless character dies: Check

2) Zoey develops some incredible new power that enables her to bring back the dead. (Like it hadn't already happened five books ago.): Check (Well, memories of the dead)

3) All of the characters hook up with someone, even if it wasn't really nessecary: Half-Check. (I said ALMOST, not all of my predictions came true)

4) This book will be a total waste of my time, yet again: Check x10

Ahh, at least now I have a break until the next book...HIDDEN!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

11/07/2011 page 87
27.0% "Oh WTF where did that tissue come from? It could have Hepititis or something on it."
11/10/2011 page 275
85.0% 7 comments
02/17/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by No (new) - added it

No Agreed. The only reason I am willing to even consider reading this book is out of pure curiosity. Heath made me want to punch him on dozens of occasions. He's really sweat, but really, really gets on my nerves. I wanted to high-five myself when he died though I was kinda sad (not really) and then she had to go and bring him back. Maybe he won't be as annoying in this book. One can only hope right?

Laura Exactly :P Most authors bring back characters only because they like them; sometimes they have no idea that the rest of the world hates them

Brittany I like your use of pictures.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I think you're like me, that even if you hate a series you feel the need to read the sequels, because of obligation.
I do agree this series has been dragged out. I enjoyed all of them up until Awakened. Then schtuff got confusing.
THREE MORE BOOKS!? God this is turning out to be just like the Immortals series....(and lord knows THAT was the worst series thrown onto the face of the earth)...

Laura Lol your right with the first part, although I kind of liked immortals, except it got worse as the series progressed. I hated Dark Flame and it just went downhill from there.

message 5: by No (new) - added it

No Exactly!

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin What you should be reading is Tigers Curse!
: )

Laura Ahhh enough with Tiger's Curse!!!!! :P I'll read it eventually. Maybe not....lol.

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ha! i totally knew it was Heath on the cover... but he's so annoying, maybe he'll be different cause he's in like a vessel thing, or maybe he'll be abit smarter cause he might have been reborn with a higher IQ than a 5yr old.

Laura Jen wrote: "Ha! i totally knew it was Heath on the cover... but he's so annoying, maybe he'll be different cause he's in like a vessel thing, or maybe he'll be abit smarter cause he might have been reborn with..."

He is actually better in this book. He is different, and he acts a bit more smart, but on the inside he's still Heath, so what can you do?

message 10: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen oh,kay i can't wait to read this book! im so anxious to find out what happens next

message 11: by Erica (new) - added it

Erica This was hilarious to read!

Laura Haha thanks! ^

message 13: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia OMG we should be besties, my review is like so close to this but without the awesome pics

Laura Lol I'm going to go read it now!!!

message 15: by Bree (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bree This review is exactly what I was thinking whilst reading this book. Three more books! my god, I don't think I can stand that many more! I have been waiting for this series to end since like book 4-5 Eh. P.C and Kristen Cast have just taken this too far.

message 16: by Dishanta (new)

Dishanta You are hilarious, this review turned my day completely around. I couldnt stop laughing. Thanks :)

Laura Lol thanks guys!

message 18: by Yoki (new) - added it

Yoki I almost skipped the like button and moved onto reading the next review but then I remembered how funny this review is and changed my mind.

Meghan Coffey Oh my gosh I LOVE you! Your review was almost an identical MIRROR to my thoughts about how I felt about this book. Reading your review entertained me and gave me relief that I wasn't the only one thinking how stupid this book was. You're my hero (as well as my sister's, who has also read the books).

Laura Meghan wrote: "Oh my gosh I LOVE you! Your review was almost an identical MIRROR to my thoughts about how I felt about this book. Reading your review entertained me and gave me relief that I wasn't the only one t..."

Thanks! Its good to know that there are fellow people who see how stupid and unnessecary this book was...(or this whole series was). Hm...

message 21: by Niara (new) - added it

Niara Laugh.Out.Loud. That was too frickin hilarious and spot on. You are my hero

message 22: by Taryn (new)

Taryn newby Do zoey and kalona get together or get more heated..??

Laura Taryn wrote: "Do zoey and kalona get together or get more heated..??"

No, Zoey and Kalona are basically done....at least I think. I can't really remember. But no, there are no KalonaXZoey heated moments.

message 24: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Awww Kalona may be evil but he was still Hot as Hell;)

Marrie Zoey is never done... with anybody. Just sayin.

message 26: by Tulika (new)

Tulika Even I read this book because of the need to know what's going to happen next and out of utter boredom. But what I hadn't realised is that this caused me even more headache :(. Really good review.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ I agree with the "Heath" crap. -_-

Steph Amis ok at first i loved these book..... when is the series gonna end???!!!! I've had it with Zoey's 'brown Pop' and her sorry excuses for cursing (bull POOPIE???????)!!. I don't think I will continue...

message 29: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Broom completely agree, but I feel committed to seeing the series through, you know?

Desire Those aren't abs but pecs on the cover.

message 31: by Lena (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lena The pictures make this one of the most entertaining reviews I've ever read.

message 32: by Laura (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura deLuna want to be burning buddies? hahaha jk

Marrie Jess wrote: "completely agree, but I feel committed to seeing the series through, you know?"

Same here. Once I start a series I usually finish it, no matter how sucky it is.

message 34: by Anina (new) - rated it 1 star

Anina So true and you had me laugh-crying