Aj the Ravenous Reader's Reviews > All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood

bookshelves: emotionally-intense, definitely-not-young-adult, psycho, somebody-s-sick, reality-bites
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Deanna

I know it’s not my business reading books without unicorns and rainbows, two things you’ll never encounter in this gritty, half-tragic and yet masterfully written novel. I don’t know, but 2016 feels like my boldest reading year yet because irrationally, I’ve been reading all kinds of books I have no business reading. *cough, The Girl In 6E, cough* Surprisingly, these “forbidden” books significantly contribute in opening my eyes and limited perception wider.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things (as it’s rightfully titled) taught me that you don’t have to agree with a story in order to appreciate it because the truth is, I cringed a lot, my eyes and ears physically hurt as if I was literally hearing all the ugly words and seeing all the sickening things the main characters, also the victims in the story had to witness and yet the rawness of the writing, the vividness of the descriptions and the boldness of the narrations combined are an unwanted needle puncturing the skin. They creep into you even if you’re unwilling to let them in and that’s basically how I could describe my entire reading experience. Truth hurts they say but Ms. Bryn Greenwood is an expert in slapping your face with unkind truths and realities recklessly which is a really brave thing as I believe she may also be drawing from her personal experience.

I was almost ready to give the book up but somehow, every chapter has a way of making me stay one chapter more until I was finally at the end. It makes me glad that I did because the story in its totality is a very good example of reminding us of how something wonderful could still sprout from something so horrible. Being a judgmental race, we are reminded by the author through her story that there are hundreds of perspectives, thousands of opinions on a singular matter and therefore what is good and true will always be relative.

For a more comprehensive review, do check out my friend (Ate) Deanna’s review. Happy birthday, my dearest Ate! For the joy and inspiration you bring to your friends and family, you deserve a huge celebration!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Ugly and Wonderful Things.

August 8, 2016 – Shelved
September 18, 2016 – Shelved as: psycho
September 18, 2016 – Shelved as: somebody-s-sick
September 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
May 7, 2019 – Shelved as: reality-bites

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Deanna Awesome review, AJ!
Thank you for the shout-out and thank you so much for the Birthday wishes :) You are so sweet to mention it.
Big hugs to you pretty one <3<3<3

message 2: by Alejandro (new) - added it

Alejandro Wonderful and Not Ugly review, Aj ;) :D

Pearl Angeli Me wants to read this too. Glad it was a winner, AJ dear! :) Another heartfelt, wonderful review, dear!

message 4: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Lewis Hahaha! Loved the review AJ!

message 5: by Alafiya (new)

Alafiya Wonderful review, amazing Aj! :')

Jennifer Masterson Terrific review, Aj! It was definitely a tough read. The Girl in 6E! That just cracked me up! :) <3

Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen
"Being a judgmental race, we are reminded by the author through her story that there are hundreds of perspectives, thousands of opinions on a singular matter and therefore what is good and true will always be relative. "

This is lovely. :) Great review, Ate. This is one in my reading list. I am now really intrigued because you liked it. :)

message 8: by Tamara (new)

Tamara So happy you didn't quiet while reading this! Perfect review!

Karen Wonderful review!!

Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ Amazing review <3

message 11: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Tbh I'm quite critical(haha) regarding reading it. But one of these days I'll give in with all the hype surrounding it. Lovely review! :)

message 12: by Jum (new) - added it

Jum Honestly, ur review makes me wanna read this story.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful revie! Glad you enjoyed ite

message 14: by Katerina (new)

Katerina Fantastic review, my wonderful friend! <3

message 15: by *eKa* (new) - added it

*eKa* So glad you loved it, Aj. Actually, I've been seeing this book like a lot and wondering if should read it, so since you loved it, I think I need to read it, too. It's just my kinda thing. :D
Wonderful review, Aj >.<

Tanya (Girl Plus Books) Wonderful, heartfelt review, Aj! I actually have this one reserve at the library right now and should receive it soon. Reading your review makes me think it is even more raw and gritty than I had imagined.I look forward to seeing what I think of it.

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ Beautiful review, ate AJ! I would definitely read it! ♥ Happy birthday, ate Deanna!

Deanna Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ wrote: "Beautiful review, ate AJ! I would definitely read it! ♥ Happy birthday, ate Deanna!"

Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm I can feel your emotions from here, Aj. Love love love this review!

Emer (A Little Haze) Your first paragraph..... I can't even!!!! Soooo funny!!! :))) Great review Aj Xx

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ate Deanna: Thank you so much, Dear Ate. It’s my pleasure! I hope you had a wonderful, wonderful day! <3

Kuya Alejandro: Bahaha! I really appreciate your cheesiest comment yet. Hahaha!

Pearl: This is a very, very rare kind of read, Pearl. I look forward to what you think of it. Thank you so much. <3

Tom: Bet you’re laughing at the first paragraph. Lol. Thank you so much, Tom! ;)

Alafiya: Thank you so much, my dear, most amazing Alafiya! <3

Ate Jennifer: It really is, Ate Jen and bahahaha! Thank you so much. <3

Nicay: Thank you so much, lovely Nicay. It is one of the most curious, most intriguing books I’ve read.

Tamara: Thank you so much, perfect Tammy! <3

Karen and Layla: Thank you so much, wonderful ladies. <3

Ayesha: Oh I really want to know what you think about this one, Ayesha. It’ll be one of the rarest stories you’ll ever read. Thank you so much. <3

Jum: Wow! That’s very nice of you to say. Thank you so much. ;)

Kat: Thank you so much, dear Kat. <3

Katerina: Thank you, my lovely friend. <3

Eka: I’m not sure if “love” is the right term, Eka but it definitely astounded me. I look forward to what you think of it. Thank you so much. <3

Ate Tanya: Oh I would definitely be keeping an eye on your review, Ate! Oh believe me, Ate, it is completely those two things you mentioned. Hehe. Thank you so much. <3

Adita: Thank you, my beautiful Adita. <3 Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Ate Claire: Aw, thank you so much, Ate Claire. Love, love, love you! <3

Ana: You have all the right reasons to be scared, hun, but when you do find the courage to read the book, I’ll be looking forward to your review. Thank you so much, dear Ana. <3

Emer: Bahahaha! Thank you so much, Sweetest Emer. <3

message 22: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy Beautiful review, Ading AJ, but now I'm afraid to read this book! I'm glad you did all right with it. :-)

message 23: by Henz (new) - added it

Henz sometimes you just have to get out of your comfort zone ... Glad you enjoyed this one dear. (^^)

Candace Terrific review, Aj! :)

Books are TARDIS Inspirational review Aj. I should step out of my tried and tested genres every now and then. Open my eyes a little bit wider, like you've so aptly said (Y)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Ate Holly: Thank you so much, Dear Ate. You kinda have reason to be afraid to read this book but just think of it this way. If I did alright with it, you probably will too. <3

Henz: Aye, aye, Henzi! Thank you so much. <3

Candace: Thank you so much, sweet Candace. <3

Fai: Aw, you are just the absolute sweetest with your wonderful comments, Fai. Thank you so much. <3 <3 <3

Aditi Fantastic review AJ :-)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aditi wrote: "Fantastic review AJ :-)"

Thank you so much, Aditi. <3

Pearl Angeli AJ dear! Thank you so much for recommending this book. :) I've read this for your birthday. hehehe <3

Aj the Ravenous Reader Pearl wrote: "AJ dear! Thank you so much for recommending this book. :) I've read this for your birthday. hehehe <3"

Oh Pearly! Thank you so much. I didn't think you'd still have time to do a birthday review for me. Thank you for making me feel special. I'll go check your review. <3 <3 <3