Genesis Sheli (Whispering Chapters)'s Reviews > The One Real Thing

The One Real Thing by Samantha Young

liked it
bookshelves: earc, netgalley

This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

Jessica is a doctor at a women’s correctional facility. She has thrown her life all into working, with a little added bonus on the side. But she never does something to enjoy herself. After finding some old letters inside the spine of a book, she decides she should take a trip to Hartwell and deliver the letters to the person intended. What she doesn't expect is to fall in love with the town and the very welcoming people.

I absolutely loved the feel of the small town. Everyone is so close to each other! The only down side is everyone knows your business, but I'd love to live in this place. Not only are they neighbors or people they know. They are like family. I love these type of books. Something I always remember is the setting, especially when it involves a tight-knit group of people living in a small town.

"I feel at peace here."

Cooper and Jessica had an instant attraction to one another, but Jess had her friend with benefits so she didn't act on anything. Both started a friendship that slowly started to blossom. Let me tell you, I was falling hard for these two. Their chemistry is explosive and it keeps growing as their romance develops.

How the hell was I supposed to resist temptation if temptation had every intention of being irresistible?

Cooper is a great male character. He's so attentive and caring! The moments he showed his vulnerability melted my insides. Not only was he good to Jess, he was amazing to everyone in town. He was a true gentleman and I loved that about him.

Jess is a wonderful woman who always puts the needs of others before her own. When she arrives at the town, she's welcomed with open friends and makes friends almost instantly. It is then that she realizes everything she has missed out of life.

My problem with this story was the impending conflict. I felt like it could have been handled entirely different. It definitely brought a lot of emotions to the story, but it took too long for this to happened. One of the characters was very guarded and should have opened up without second guessing. Another thing that bothered me a little was the change of POV's. Jess' point of view was in first person, which I was thankful for, whereas Cooper's was written as third point of view.

I'm so looking forward to the next novel in this series. I won't think twice in picking it up since it will have one of the couples that I fell so hard for in this first book! That book will be something else and I can't wait for it!

Overall, The One Real Thing is a charming story filled with amazing, loving characters with a wonderful setting. Despite my two minor issues, I recommend this novel to all romance lovers out there!

I received an eARC from the publisher for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.This review was originally posted on Latte Nights Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Real Thing.

August 8, 2016 – Shelved
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: earc
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 15, 2016 – Started Reading
August 16, 2016 –
August 16, 2016 –
91.0% "You've gotta be kidding me. That's why she didn't open up? WTF?! I get it was traumatic but COME ON! Ugggh I dislike woman like Jess for this reason."
August 16, 2016 – Finished Reading