Jenny's Reviews > The Hellion and The Heartbreaker

The Hellion and The Heartbreaker by Jennifer McNare

bookshelves: favorites, heroine-i-adore, made-me-swoon, made-me-cry, steamy

Scarlett meets Alec her brother’s best friend several times while she is still a child. Their chemistry is sizzling and even though she is too young she falls in love with him. Alec is a handsome, rich Duke. He doesn’t believe in love, in fact he is afraid of love and afraid of risking his heart. The problem is he can’t resist Scarlett. They end up sleeping together but Alec is against marriage and he tells her he has no intention of marrying her. Scarlett is heartbroken. She discovers she is pregnant and decides to go away and keep her baby a secret. 3 years later she is back in town with her adorable son Oliver.

OMG I adored this book! I adored this virginal heroine! She is the sweetest heroine EVER! Her courage, bravery and goodness made me cry. The man she had loved since she was 14 rejects her after making her fall for him but she never resents him or hate him. When she discovers she is pregnant she knows he doesn’t want to marry her so she keeps her pregnancy a secret because she doesn’t want to be a burden or an obligation. This is the first time I can forgive a heroine for keeping her child a secret from the hero. He was so afraid of commitment he gave her no choice. She loves Alec unconditionally, selflessly, with all her heart. Her love confession towards the end was heartbreaking. I wanted to hug her and protect her and adopt her. I loved Alec too. He was a cynical man but that’s what made him so perfect for Scarlett. She is full of love and light and she is exactly what this brooding man needs.

I want to thank my friend Esther for giving this book 5 stars and thus brought it to my attention. Best historical romance ever! I personally adore a martyr heroine and a cynical hero so this book is perfection as far as I am concerned. If you like super kind beta heroes and feisty heroines stay away from this book ;)

(I know some people are bothered by it so I must mention that hero sleeps with other women during separation and heroine slept with no one else.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hellion and The Heartbreaker.

Finished Reading
August 8, 2016 – Shelved
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: heroine-i-adore
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: made-me-swoon
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: made-me-cry
August 8, 2016 – Shelved as: steamy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Vashti (new) - added it

Vashti This looks really good Esther,thanks for a great review!I have been in a reading slump lately:(

message 2: by Vashti (new) - added it

Vashti Sorry,meant to write your name Jenny,Pls forgive me

Jenny Lol no problem hun hope u enjoy this :))

Chantal ❤️ Wow nice review and thanks for the heads up about the sleeping around. I can't read that. I could forgive him Leaving a pregnant Virgin but not the sleeps with others. Man that does not sound like something I would enjoy. However I am so glad that you did. Keep up your awesome review. :)))

message 5: by Preeti ♥︎ (new)

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads) great review Jen!

Jenny Thanks Preeti and Chantal! I realize this book is not for everyone ;))

message 7: by Preeti ♥︎ (new)

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads) Did he do a good grovel? I might read it if he did..

Jenny Preeti i wouldnt say his grovel was good since he was angry h had kept his child a secret!

message 9: by Preeti ♥︎ (new)

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads) Okay...but did he ever wonder in all those years, where his bf's lil sis has vanished to . . I am sure young girls dint go off radar in those days..either got married or continued with their seasons?

Sorry if I'm bothering you with my queries. :p
I'm just curious about the book.

Jenny Well when she goes away her brothers tell everyone she got eloped and married so hero is jealous she fell so fast for another guy. When she returns she starts going out with a decent guy and h is jealous again. So for me his jealousy showed his feelings :)

message 11: by Preeti ♥︎ (new)

Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads) oh good then!