Lauren's Reviews > Sins of the Heart

Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver

May 30, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, reapers, demons, kick-ass-heroines, egyptian-mythology, cult
Read on March 01, 2017

Sins of the Heart
4 Stars

When Roxy Tam first met Dagan Krayl, a soul reaper and son of Sutekh, the Egyptian god of Chaos, he changed her life forever. Now, eleven years later, the two find themselves on opposing sides while investigating the murder of Dagan’s youngest brother. Can they put old hurts and rivalries aside in their common goal to discover the truth and prevent an all-encompassing war that may result in the destruction of humanity?

Note: This review has been updated following Eve Silver's re-release of the book with a new cover, edited content and added material. An advance copy of the new release was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The new release resolves the slow start of the initial edition by streamlining the chapters, which results in a faster pace and a clearer conceptualization of the complex connections between characters and events. It should be noted that the story still ends on a minor cliffhanger, but this only leaves the reader gasping for more.

Even though this is my second read through, the mystery is still compelling and the process of following the clues is as enjoyable as ever. The unanswered questions from the first version remain. However, they are ultimately resolved by the end of the series, and the journey is well worth the effort.

Roxy and Dagan have an intense and sensual relationship, and both are extremely likeable. Roxy is strong willed, defiant and honorable, and Dagan is intelligent, charming and sensitive despite his occupation as a soul reaper. The push and pull between them is captivating, and seeing them reconcile their conflicting loyalties makes for entertaining reading.

In terms of the secondary characters, there are numerous gods and their minions to keep track of (although not as many, thankfully, as in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark Hunters series). In the previous edition, the more prominent figures, such as Dagan’s brothers, were not as fleshed out as they could have been, and Silver has added some much needed detail in this area.

Silver's writing flows smoothly and the banter between characters, especially between the hero and heroine, is witty and engaging. There are still some disjointed transitions between scenes and chapters, but the world of the Otherkin is very intriguing.

Overall, a bold beginning to an excellent series although some readers may find it too dark and gritty for their tastes. Looking forward to reading the rest of the re-releases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of the Heart.

06/25
02/08 marked as: read

Renégade ♥ Great review, Lauren :)

Lauren Renégade ♥ wrote: "Great review, Lauren :)"

Thanks Renégade ♥
I really enjoyed this series, I have another of Silver's series on my TBR that I want to get to.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Yes, great review, Lauren. The book sound interesting. But... Gosh... love that cover!

Lauren Thanks Lisa Kay.
I'm actually reading the re-release version now. Not as much of a fan of the new covers for the series. Much prefer the sexy alpha male :0)