Kirstine's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed, 1-men

Well, that only took me a month.

It is a brilliant book, and in all fairness, it really shouldn't have taken me this long to finish it. I believe the reason for that is that I (unwittingly) made the mistake of watching the tv show before reading the book.

With a book as long and complex as this, it's a loss to know beforehand what's going to happen. And if what happens isn't anything good, it doesn't make the journey any easier. I had a lot of difficulties with keeping myself reading, because I knew where the story was going, and I knew it was awful. So, if you're thinking about reading this book, please, please, please do it before you even take a look at the tv show.

That said, George R. R. Martin is an excellent author, and his choices for which PoV we will be seeing certain events from is very well thought out.
And perhaps reading R. Scott Bakker's books have ruined me slightly, because I found A Game of Thrones to be quite easily read. GRRM has a way with words that will leave you speechless, but it isn't difficult to follow. And I find that amiable.

Thanks to Ágústa for forcing me to just read it already. Perhaps I will finish the others in more respectable time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

May 30, 2011 – Shelved
December 26, 2011 –
page 227
December 27, 2011 –
page 337
40.36% "I might actually finish this before new years."
December 30, 2011 –