Janina's Reviews > Burn Bright

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, dystopian-apocalyptic

Hmmm. I have to say that I'm neither over- nor underwhelmed. The concept was definitely interesting, and the world building and overall atmosphere well done. But everything remained superficial. I am sure that there will be more details revealed about Ixion in future installments, that there are a lot more things to discover as this series progresses, but I am missing the hook. The incentive that makes me want to read on.
To make things worse, I didn't really connect with the characters. They remained pale and - mostly - uninteresting to me. I didn't understand Retra's infatuation with Markes and Lenoir, and Joel was kind of a jerk. The prospective love traingle is a huge turn off for me.
Retra's friends were okay, but nothing too special either. And, of course, there had to be the standard mean girl. At least she wasn't a cheerleader ... ;). I liked Retra as a heroine, though. Strong, yet vulnarable because of her past and reluctant to let herself go. I could relate to her mistrust concerning the Ripers, I understood her reluctance to party non-stop and take the sense-enhancing drugs she was offered (seriously, how could the others be so unsuspicious and quick to accept them?). She knew exactly what she wanted and was willing to sacrifice a lot for it. She had suffered deeply under the conditions at home (some issues were only hinted at) and I really felt with her.

All in all, I have to say that I found the first half very captivating and addicting despite the book's flaws - the pages just flew by - but the second half not so much. Retra's transformation to Naif didn't sit too well with me. Maybe because I could relate so well to her before and it seemed weird to me that she'd shed everything she believed in in a few seconds. And as much as I liked her at the beginning, new Retra got annoying.

At the end, we are - of course - left with a cliffhanger and I just don't like these much in general - even if the book is part of a series. I think there are better ways to keep the reader interested. Nevertheless, I wasn't really frustrated, and to me, that's an indicator I didn't particularly care for the book and its characters. I am not desperately awaiting what will happen next, more mildly interested.

Not entirely sure if I am going to read the sequel ... probably not.

Nomes, thank you so much for touring this and giving us the possibility to read this otherwise unobtainable Aussie book!

#4 Aussie YA Challenge 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Bright.

May 29, 2011 – Shelved
May 29, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult-fiction
May 29, 2011 – Shelved as: dystopian-apocalyptic
July 30, 2011 – Started Reading
August 2, 2011 –
page 133
42.09% "Addictive. Have read 100 pages without really noticing."
August 4, 2011 –
page 232
August 6, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Janina The cover has such a strange texture ...

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Happy reading :)

Janina Thank you!

Nomes I am not a fan of cliffhangers either. I will read a sequel b/c I care about the characters/world not to follow through on some plot point.

Sorry it wasn't your thing but I love your review :)

Janina Thank you :). I know, I have to love a book very much to be forgiving about cliffhangers - for example Catching Fire or Nevermore (although I was pretty frustrated with Nevermore's ending as well). Otherwise, it sometimes feels like I'm being left with an open ending so that I buy the next book ... I know it's not necessarily like that, but when I'm reading a series, I still expect each book to have an ending of its own. I mean, there has to be something to warrant a second or third book, but it should not be brought up one page before the end.

Teccc Janina, if this is still on-tour, then I would very much like to read it :)

message 8: by Janina (last edited Aug 07, 2011 03:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Janina Oh, of course, I won't keep it. For some reason I thought you had already read it ... *confused*.
I asked Tina if she wants it (there was the chaos with Canada post when Nomes started the tour), so if you wouldn't mind passing it on to her? Or send it back to me and I'll ship it over.

Teccc Thanks Janina (and of course Nomes for starting the tour :) )
I do not often read the book-tours thread, because I usually assume that the books are not coming to Europe, so I missed that this book was on tour.

Sure I can send it to Tina afterwards.