James's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

liked it
bookshelves: 1-fiction, 4-written-pre-20th-century

Book Review
So it starts off with this zombie who is thirsty for... oh wait, wrong book. I thought this had zombies in the title. I must be confused. Oh, there are 2 of them. Why would someone do that? What do zombies have to do with marriage and love and the idea of ideas? Is this the book where the women in a lion's den dislike the men? Oh, I'm so lost today with these older reviews. JUST KIDDING!

3 out of 5 stars to Pride and Prejudice, a remarkable novel written in the early 19th century by the wonderful Jane Austen. I read this when I was around 20 years old, as part of one of my English courses. I like the book. I enjoy the characters. But I'm not as big of a fan as most people who say they like this book. I've also never seen any movie, film or tv series versions of it, nor would I dare pick up the one that includes the zombies. There are 2 things preventing me: (1) I wasn't enamored with this one enough to want to re-read something very different and (2) I've never been a fan of zombies. Vampires, yes. Werewolves, yes. Witches, totally. But for some reasons, zombies don't do it for me. I did like the first two movies in the Resident Evil series, but that's just because she's a badass! Why am I still talking about zombies. Let's move to marriage, a more appropriate topic, given it's a central theme in the book.

I am not married. For a while, it wasn't legal for me to marry the person I'd want to marry. It is now. But I'm still not married. And I have been in a relationship for nearly six years. My point... so off topic in this one... is that marriage has never been important to me. And so this book had some interesting parts to it that I both agreed with and had some conflicts with. I believe in doing what's best for the two people involved in the relationship, not what society says is the acceptable thing to do. I also find marriage to be something more private between the married couple, and it would be weird to stand up in front of a whole room of people and say some words, have some sort of institutional approach and then continue on with our lives.

I liked the pairing of Elizabeth and Darcy, but it wasn't a romantic and wonderful turn of events for me. It felt more like a societal commentary of relationships, expectations and courtship. As a result, I focused less on "should they be together" and more on "what's the meaning under all these words." I liked the book, probably give it a 3.4999999, which unfortunately rounds down to a 3.

Of all the classics, it's not one of my favorites, but I'd give it another chance under the right circumstances. Just would want to maybe see a visual interpretation first, perhaps to drive my imagination and provoke some different thoughts for the next read.

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by.

Started Reading
January 1, 1998 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2016 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-written-pre-20th-century

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

James :) yes

Dina Batista I'm quite bias to this one because I loved it (I'm a sucker for Mr Darcy :-)) but I read those with zombies (I don't even know why, as I don't like zombies on books or tv, temporary insanity perhaps) but let me tell you... stay away from those, they are an offense to my beloved P&P.

James Dina wrote: "I'm quite bias to this one because I loved it (I'm a sucker for Mr Darcy :-)) but I read those with zombies (I don't even know why, as I don't like zombies on books or tv, temporary insanity perhap..."

Good to know. A few people I know have read them and either hate or love it. Never in between. :)

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa James I can tell you now that we Janeites have all reached for the wine to help us recover from the shock of P&P only getting 3 out of 5 stars!!!!!!!!!!

James Oh, no! Am I in trouble? Don't drink too much over little old me! I'm currently reading the marriage pact where they punish people who don't behave. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. Are there going to be people stalking me to raise my rating? LOL

Dina Batista I'm signing up! Please raise it 👆👍

James Haha. I'm looking for extradition policies. Time to run! I did say in the detail a 3.4999999. Does that help? Oh no. What's that noise outside my window. Ack! Help........ :)

Noriko lol Your comments just hit my funny bone lol

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa We'll forgive you-----this time-----maybe---- no----wait. I CAN'T :'(
On with the wine!!

James All smiles!

message 11: by Marialyce (new)

Marialyce Pride and Prejudice and Zombies= the worst book I ever read!

James @marialyce: good to know!

James @ellie: I hope it's ok I laughed. :) it is so mainstream now!

James Not at all I totally understood!

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I wouldn't even contemplate reading P&P and Zombies. Whoever came up with the notion for those books should be shot!!!

James Teresa wrote: "I wouldn't even contemplate reading P&P and Zombies. Whoever came up with the notion for those books should be shot!!!"

No comment! hahaha... other than I understand.

message 17: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Batista The worse? there's also "Sense and Sensibility and sea monsters", when they are going to stop butcher Jane Austen work?

Clarice Martins Laughing hard over here, with your review and all the comments. I did not know that was a version with Zombie! Yuck! No, thanks! Like you, I do like vampires, demons and, I add, mystical creatures, but, not zombies...
As for your 3....!! I can't believe it! I did not at first, but I fell in love with Jane Austen and the way she tells the story.
Just to comment on you point about the romance being "it wasn't a romantic and wonderful turn of events for me. It felt more like a societal commentary of relationships, ", my humble opinion/guess is that things were really like that in 1813! And that is what fascinated me! To read about the romance from their true perspective, to learn how they thought and act back in 1813. Many writers that try to write historic novels do get it wrong because they were not there to really know how people think and act...

James Noriko wrote: "lol Your comments just hit my funny bone lol"

excellent!

James Clarice wrote: "Laughing hard over here, with your review and all the comments. I did not know that was a version with Zombie! Yuck! No, thanks! Like you, I do like vampires, demons and, I add, mystical creatures,..."

I agree with you 100%. Writers try, but it was a different time. And unless you read everything from that era, it's mighty difficult to capture tone. Good share, thanks!

message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Jamey!!! :)

James Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Jamey!!! :)"

Thank you! :)

Tahera I was wondering if you have managed to catch a visual representation of the book till yet. If not, please do watch the 1995 miniseries :D