James's Reviews > The House on Mango Street

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-young-adult

Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to The House on Mango Street, a short series of vignettes published in 1984 and written by Sandra Cisneros. Picture it: Long Island, August 1995. 18-year-old college student receives a letter in the mail, revealing two books he must read prior to attending the freshmen orientation seminar on his first day of college later that month. Young kid says "They're giving me work to do already? WT..." It went something like that. And it wasn't that I didn't want to read, and I was a good student, but seriously... I'm scared of going off to college and already being told to start doing some work. Can't I have some break before I... never mind. So I read it. And wow, it's fantastic. A short collection of stories about growing up in Chicago, learning how to live on your own (sort of). Meeting different people. Seeing other sides of life. Learning more than you thought was out there. Embracing change and culture.

Oh... I get it... that's what's about to happen to me! Wow... nice book. Thanks. So then I get to the orientation. And they want us to discuss it in a random group that was set up. So we get put in groups of 6. I'm with some weird-looking people. At 18, I looked about 12 still. For some reason, I got stuck with the other 18-year-olds who looked 28. I wanted to call them mom and dad. But I knew better. I kept my mouth shut. Sandra Cisneros has just taught me that. So... I'm very shy and don't say a word. No one speaks. I realize I guess I must say something. So I said. "I liked it a lot." Everyone nodded. I said something like "what did you think?"

I'll save you the drama. None of them read it. I was the only one who did. How embarrassing for them! It was so good... but I played it cool and described the plot. It seemed to open up the conversation, but then we were asked to nominate a leader to step up to the stage and explain your group's understanding of the book. Oh you know... vengeance... some day... payback...

My lesson. Don't ever read a book again. JUST KIDDING! You must read this one. It's a beautiful story and helps you embrace change and difference. And the characters are quite memorable and quirky. Quick read. Maybe 2 hours. You should definitely give it a chance.

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT. First the book review goes on Goodreads, and then I send it on over to my WordPress blog at https://thisismytruthnow.com, where you'll also find TV & Film reviews, the revealing and introspective 365 Daily Challenge and lots of blogging about places I've visited all over the world. And you can find all my social media profiles to get the details on the who/what/when/where and my pictures. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Vote in the poll and ratings. Thanks for stopping by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on Mango Street.

Started Reading
August 1, 1995 – Finished Reading
August 7, 2016 – Shelved
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
March 11, 2017 – Shelved as: 2-fic-young-adult

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Beverly~Lady B (new)

Beverly~Lady B Charming review James... with a great funny story . Love it!! Will give this book a try =)

James Beverly wrote: "Charming review James... with a great funny story . Love it!! Will give this book a try =)"

I adored it when I read it almost twenty years ago. It's a good one. Glad to share it, and thanks for the nice comment.

message 3: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Sweet review James! Glad you liked it. :)

James Susanne wrote: "Sweet review James! Glad you liked it. :)" Thanks! Have you read it?

Misty This was sweet. Awesome review, James. It's on my TBR.

message 6: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Awesome review, James :)

James Thank you. It was such an impacting tale. Good one to read. Thanks.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds really interesting!

James Holly wrote: "Sounds really interesting!"

It was a good story going into college, to understand some things about life being "on your own" for the first time and other cultures

message 10: by Cj (new)

Cj Carrington boi if you dont get yo bob marley lookin ahh boiiiiii

James Not sure I understood you in that last comment.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Great review, James.

James Thanks, Melissa.

message 14: by Kristal (new) - added it

Kristal Rios This book The House On Mango Street is a really amazing book. I really like it because it's based on a true story and not only that but it was interesting to know that the house on mango street was really not on mango street. I would really love for everyone to really this amazing,and interesting book.

James Kristal wrote: "This book The House On Mango Street is a really amazing book. I really like it because it's based on a true story and not only that but it was interesting to know that the house on mango street was..."

Hope you enjoy it!