Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Ashen Winter

Ashen Winter by Mike Mullin

May 29, 2011

Read from April 17 to 20, 2012

I loved it. Better than the first! Review coming in September.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashen Winter.

04/17/2012
0.0% "I know, I'm supposed to wait until September to read but I loved book 1 and well, I don't want to wait. I'll hold my review until then but I'm enjoying it now."
04/17/2012
10.0% "I'm supposed to be catching up on my work, well, that sooooo did not work."
04/18/2012
10.0% ""She started stripping my clothing, muttering all the while 'Stupid, pigheaded, obstinate, obnoxious, oviparous, egg-sucking boy.' I both laid and sucked eggs? That didn't make sense. Whatever".... LOL"
04/18/2012
17.0% ""We were quiet for a moment. I knew what I wanted to say, but it was bound to come out all wrong. Or hopelessly corny. Eventually, I gave up thinking about it. 'If we're all going to die anyway, I want to die with you. And if we live, I want to live with you." .....ahhh that was sweet!"
04/18/2012
27.0% "Ok, I adore Alex and Darla."
04/20/2012
95.0% "boohooing here! sad, sad!" 6 comments

message 1: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery When I see it from far away or in thumbnail size, it looks like human anatomy minus the skin--like muscles and tendons. It creeps me out to the max.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Flannery wrote: "When I see it from far away or in thumbnail size, it looks like human anatomy minus the skin--like muscles and tendons. It creeps me out to the max."

I thought the exact same thing. I think that is what makes it look so neat! Creepy but neat.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hartman LOL, same here. But I really like it up close.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Rachel wrote: "LOL, same here. But I really like it up close."

I agree, it's unique.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mary Elizabeth wrote: "I need to try the 1st book :)"

You should. It was such a surprise hit for me. I loved it.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mary Elizabeth wrote: "I know your review convinced me to buy it ..."

ahhh.. I hope you love it!!!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Mary Elizabeth - I think you'll like it. The only thing we got stuck on was the skiing on volcanic ash. I think the skis would have been shredded.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mary Elizabeth wrote: "if not you'll owe me chocolate ;)"

It's a deal! Of course, I'll need to travel to hand deliver the chocolate!

message 9: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Group read?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "Group read?"

definitely yes!

Regina I am going to wait to read this -- maybe until July or August. When are you planning to read it?

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Regina wrote: "I am going to wait to read this -- maybe until July or August. When are you planning to read it?"

I would say I am going to wait, but I'm too darn curious. I want to read it soon but for review purposes, I should wait. Nice clear answer huh?

Regina Maybe write it after you read it but don't publish it (but that is the hard part - -to not share it ...). Being on a site like GR encourages my compulsive sharing habit.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Regina wrote: "Maybe write it after you read it but don't publish it (but that is the hard part - -to not share it ...). Being on a site like GR encourages my compulsive sharing habit."

Exactly! I think that I'll have to read it sooner and then just do that, wait until September to publish the review.

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I'm going to read the ARCs in order of release. That's the only way I can keep them straight in my mind. I've got to read 2 for June before I look at this. I'm thinking August too. You can always write your review and post it with a delayed review date.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead AH wrote: "I'm going to read the ARCs in order of release. That's the only way I can keep them straight in my mind. I've got to read 2 for June before I look at this. I'm thinking August too. You can always w..."

You both have such self control! LOL

Regina Nah just too many books to get to before then!

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Got to go in order of release date or I'll miss a few.

Regina Me too! I am sticking to my schedule -- right now I have stuff for April, May and June. Once I finish those I will allow myelf to read it (even though I have some other Augusts and Septembers)

Shelley This is up on Netgalley if you didn't know by now.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Regina wrote: "Me too! I am sticking to my schedule -- right now I have stuff for April, May and June. Once I finish those I will allow myelf to read it (even though I have some other Augusts and Septembers)"

AH wrote: "Got to go in order of release date or I'll miss a few."

Regina wrote: "Nah just too many books to get to before then!"

Like I said, you ladies have self control. I could have 50 books scheduled to read, all in order, throw in one book that I've been waiting for and my entire schedule goes to hell! LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Mary Elizabeth wrote: "just requested this on NG ... after all your encouragements LOL ashfall will be my next read :)"

ahhh Mary Elizabeth, the great thing about you is your bad reviews are as fun to read as your good reviews! LOL However, for this series, I'm hoping you love it. :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "This is up on Netgalley if you didn't know by now."

yupyup!

message 24: by Miriam (new)

Miriam in thumbnail size, it looks like human anatomy minus the skin--like muscles and tendons.

Flannery, that is exactly what I thought it was, too!

Bonnie I can't wait to see what you have to say about this! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "I can't wait to see what you have to say about this! :)"

It's really good!

Bonnie I wanted to start it immediately but I'm trying to be good and read the ones I NEED to. No fun.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Bonnie wrote: "I wanted to start it immediately but I'm trying to be good and read the ones I NEED to. No fun."

I gave up on that! I tried.

Bonnie It's hard when you have a book that you're REALLY looking forward to. It's no fun being responsible. lol