T.R. Graves's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

May 29, 2011

This powerful book should come with a warning: May cause depression

Somehow, Suzanne Collins described Katniss' unbearably bleak situation from the beginning of Mockingjay until the end in such a manner that I began feeling sad myself. No. Not sad. My emotions would best be described as depressed, dejected, disenchanted, and frustrated. Anything but happy, cheerful, idealistic, or satisfied.

While the writing was phenomenal (or why else would I feel so many emotions), my mental health is not worth re-reading this book...ever again. I'm sure that the point of this series was to portray war as horrific. We all know - in our hearts even if we've never been in a real battle for our lives - how horrible it would be to see our family and friends tortured, murder, mutilated, burned, mentally raped, etc. I never want to live through any of that. With Mockingjay, I feel like I have.

If I had one wish for this series, it would have been for it to end on a high note rather than the anticlimactic 'it is what it is' ending I was met with after enduring the mental trauma I was made to suffer throughout the entire book.

T.R. Graves
Warriors of the Cross
Guardians of the Cross
Enemies of the Cross
Left
Grave Bound
Underground

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

Carrie I couldn't have said it better myself...I felt physically ill reading that last chapter. But I still loved the series, just needed more closure.

Jessica I wish the ending would have been different too!