T.R. Graves's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

May 29, 2011

The Hunger Games is one of those timeless books that will stay with you forever. In some ways, it is reminiscent of The Lottery combined with a modern-day reality show similar to Survivor. It's a talented author who can describe starvation in such a way the reader feels like they have endured famine...who can build life-threatening events with such reality the reader's heart pounds while hormones of anxiety course through their veins...who can make the reader fall into heartwarming love at the same moment the book's characters do...who can make you mourn - with real tears - when great characters die. Suzanne Collins is just such author. Amazing. Inspiring. One of the greatest.

Katniss' selflessness and willingness to give her life for others along with her morals/ethics make her the perfect heroine. Katniss' tales describing her friendship with Gale and their likenesses means there is no way to ignore the strength of their bond and makes you wonder if she unknowingly loves him. Peeta's tender show of unrequited love makes the reader's heart squeeze, and they cheer for him as emphatically as they pull for Katniss to be the winner of the Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games and the Capital and the Districts. The world which was created within the covers of this book is very real, making this unbelievable story suddenly plausible and horrific.

I would highly recommend this book for people of all ages. In fact, I'm dying to tackle Catching Fire, which will be one of my next books.

T.R. Graves
Warriors of the Cross
Guardians of the Cross
Enemies of the Cross
Left
Grave Bound
Underground

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Finished Reading
May 29, 2011 – Shelved

Jessica LOVED this book!

T.R. Graves Me too. I decided to read it before the movie came out. I'm glad I did.

Jessica You'll have to tell me how you like the rest of the series. I really liked the first two, but hated the last. The first in my opinion was the best out of the whole series.