David Pauly's Reviews > A Variety of Chains

A Variety of Chains by Christine Blackthorn

U 50x66

it was ok

I was given a free copy of this book through the Goodreads free give away. I treated this book as if I bought it, so the review that I post is an honest portrayal of my views.

Spoiler alert!! I talk about the plot!

Frankly, I am not sure what to make of this story. The first 1/3 is an emotional hodgepodge of anger and fear from the main character. Time and again, Kathryn babbles on through endless reflection about her history of running, running again, and finally more running. Initially, we know that she is an Ergr and that she is valued by Vampires. Three children are in her care, but it is not until over 1/2 way through the book, that we know who they are and why she is protecting them. I was tempted to put the book down at this point and give up. Honestly the first 50 pages could be summed up, "Kathryn is frightened, upset, paranoid and has a negative history with Vampires. She is forced into a terrible choice where becoming the slave of a Vampire lord is preferable to living on the streets. Internal emotional waffle goes on and on." That was pretty much it.

Then, Lucien the Vampire lord appears and he is actually interesting, a complex character who adds much more to the story than Kathryn has so far. A vampire with a social conscience was a unique read in my experience. (I am a 50 year old straight male, so erotica and vampires are not usually my thing) The world of the Vampires when introduced was interesting and I was disappointed that there was not more information about their world, their relationships with humans, and other immortals.

The sex scenes were fairly tame, despite the bondage aspect and focused on Kathryn's emotional responses rather then physical sensations. The lack of physical descriptions in terms of visual, auditory, olfactory details was frustrating. If I had been an actual observer of the scenes, I would have experienced very little as nearly all of the written content described what Kathryn was thinking and feeling emotionally.

Overall, I think there is a lot of potential here, with some good editing and condensing Kathryn's emotional perspective from chapters into a few pages, the book would flow much better. Moreover, expanding the history and description of the world in which the characters operate would really flesh out the story. The thin amount of details was frankly frustrating. The author clearly leaves a hook at the end of the book, and I would like to read the next one so that I can follow the story.
I can hope that in the next story, we can get through the angry teenager phase of Kathryn much more quickly and get into the heart of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Variety of Chains.

Finished Reading