emydeewrites's Reviews > An American Tragedy

An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser

May 29, 2011

I had no idea at the time I picked this up that it is supposed to be one of the most important American novels of the 20th century—and so I read it without any preconceptions, and enjoyed it all the better for that. Despite the somewhat archaic quality of the writing I enjoyed the book, which comments on the permutations of class distinctions, equality, status and social ambition. I also enjoyed it because even though I already had a vague idea how the story was going to end (it's based on the real-life murderer Chester Gillette), I still found myself at various moments rooting for Clyde, hoping he would make the most of the opportunity his uncle had given him and prove all of society wrong. But you already know what happens from the title: this is the flip side of the American dream.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An American Tragedy.

Randy This is a good read, though a struggle, or slog. Dreiser wrote in the language of the day which is foreign to us now, but true to the time, if my granddad can be trusted. I can't put it down.

emydeewrites I agree Randy - it's such a thick paperback with small small print but I couldn't put it down! Thanks for commenting!

Randy Thnx Emily. It's good to know the whole world hasn't gone to twittering. Read on, and know more than our twitting friends.

Melissa Etheridge Alright Emily~you and the sample that I read on my kindle have won me over. Maybe $6 isn't too much to pay. Your review is fabulous.

Melissa