hayden's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

EDIT: Just so you guys all know, the word "Mortenson" is in the text a total of 1,943 times. That's right. 1,943.

What I wish to do so badly to this book.

0 of 5 stars

Before I get started, I just want to say that no review I could ever write ever would ever portray how much this book sucked for me. To me, Three Cups of Tea is the perfect embodiment and representation of the most tragically horrible book I've ever read.

In fact, for you today, I'm going to make a list of the 10 most tragic things in Three Cups of Tea.

The 10 Most Tragic Things In Three Cups of Tea (Not in Any Order)

1: The Stilted and Pretentious Writing
Don't even get me started on the atrocious writing. Relin is the worst possible person anyone could've ever chosen to write Mortenson's story. In fact, if someone else would have written the book, I probably would've enjoyed it a lot more. It may even have been a three-star read for me, if it wasn't written in a horrid and stilted manner. Relin describes every single thing down to the last detail. I specifically remember an entire scene dedicated to the entire biography of someone completely irrelevant to the book at all, some climber woman who was really brave and all that crap. Another two chapters were backstory and DIDN'T ADVANCE THE PLOT AT ALL. (No wonder it took me 83 days to read this book!)
The prose of the book is more purple than Barney, and I think that speaks for itself.

2: The Pacing
This book wasn't exciting at all. I felt in no way excited to read more; in fact, I couldn't have cared less. As I mentioned in the first section, Relin writes detail of every single thing (and I'm not kidding), like it really mattered what color hat his guide exiting the mountain, Mouzafer, was wearing and how many scratches it had and how long he had it and how he recalled his experiences of getting it every time he put it on. Okay, that might have been a minor exaggeration.
*snickers* I jumped up, cheered, and giggled maniacally when I was done and realized I didn't have any more hell to go through before the summer was over.

3: The Blatantly Hyperbolized Heroism
And by that, I mean how Relin writes Mortenson to be completely pretentious and how he writes this aura of perfection about him that makes him seem like Jesus descended to Earth and decided to build schools for poor and starving Middle-Eastern children. By the time I got to around page 100, I finally found Relin detailing something Mortenson wasn't good at, and I was relieved that he really wasn't the second coming of Jesus like Relin was brainwashed to believe.
If you're reading this:
Dear David Oliver-Relin,
Mr. Gregory Mortenson HAS FLAWS.
Please get this through your thick skull, since it's obvious Mortenson didn't write a word of this.
Sincerely,
a Frustrated Reader.

4: The Length
Three Cups of Tea is 125,000 words. For those of you who have no idea how long that really is, it's longer than Twilight. Yes, it is FREAKING LONGER THAN TWILIGHT. I'm sure if the editor of this book had any common sense, it would've been condensed to AT LEAST a maximum of 85,000. So much of this book was just extended detailing and backstories that really had no relevance to what was currently going on. I really didn't care about Marina at all; I didn't care that his throat clogged up and his sexual organ swelled every time he saw her, and that he was talking to his Balti friends about her and about how beautiful she was. Did it have anything to do with the schools being built? I'll give you a hint: the answer rhymes with the word "HO" (which happens to bring Marina to mind), and it starts with an N.

5: The Lack of Reference to Balti Language
In the entirety of the book, there is a lot of Balti language used, especially in the beginning when he's adjusting to life there. The Balti words are nearly always italicized (i.e.: Inshallah), but I'd say only 1/4 of all the Balti words are defined in the text, either right next to the word or in the sentences/paragraphs that follow. Google helped me a lot over the course of the book when I actually cared about what they meant because I thought they'd help me later on. I don't even remember what my example word above means. That's how scarce definitions of the Balti language was.

6: The Sentence Length
I'm gonna get this out of the way: most of the sentences in this book wouldn't even fit in Goodreads status updates, I shit you not. Goodreads status updates can be up to 420 characters. Whole sentences are commonly over that length in this book. It'd be a HUGE pain in the butt to read aloud. I don't think I've ever read a book in the history of my life that's this stretched out.
I mean, seriously. Even the very last paragraph of the book (which is one sentence, people, and it's in #10) is completely stretched out and seems strangely perpetual and confusing and dramatic when it's not. It seems like Relin tried to create a cute ending and failed miserably (look at all those freaking commas!)

7: The Fabrications
Three Cups of Deceit How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way by Jon Krakauer
Three Cups of Deceit: How Greg Mortenson, Humanitarian Hero, Lost His Way
These should be self-explanatory.
In fact, I'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed this book more (maybe a lot more) if I didn't know most of it was false. Knowing this makes reading it seem pointless. Why would my English teacher assign something completely fabricated and horribly written for me to read over the summer when she could've chosen much better alternatives that actually have character and aren't filled with cheesy metaphors?
I've heard the previous years' choice was Lord of the Flies, and at this point, I welcome that book in with open arms.

8: The Word "Mortenson"
The main flaw that arises in writing this book in third-person is how many times the main character's name is referenced. I mean, seriously, you couldn't have called him Greg? Just reading the name "Mortenson" after reading this book makes me shudder and feel sick to my stomach.
I actually think this book would've been better had it been written by Mortenson; the prose would've been much less purple (maybe a nice, subtle shade of periwinkle) and I'd have been able to escape the dreadful "Mortenson" that appeared at the beginning of each paragraph. I put this book on the shelf "prose-is-purple-as-barney" for a reason.
This just in: the word "Mortenson" appears 1,943 times in the text of the novel. That's right. Be warned.

9: The Painful Metaphors
Relin needs to obliviate the word "metaphor" from his vocabulary, because it doesn't truly enhance his writing, but instead makes it laugh-worthy. I write better metaphorically than him, and I'm 14 years old. Metaphors like a storage space "smelling like Africa" and the night being "bitterly crystalline" (things which still don't make sense to me) can be eliminated. Being as I, along with many others, have never been to Africa, I don't think that first metaphor should even be usable. Maybe the editor just gave up and decided he/she was done with this atrocity. (I honestly wish I had that option somewhere along the line of reading this.)

10: The Last Paragraph
Tell me, have you ever read anything more screwed up grammatically than this?

Can someone just shoot me now?

THE ONLY POSITIVE ASPECT OF ANYTHING RELATED TO THE STORY:
-The end, because I knew it was over and I wouldn't have to turn another page in it again.
-Haji Ali. Anyone who says "Sit down and shut your mouth. You're making everyone crazy" to Greg Mortenson deserves my utmost respect.
-The line "Sheeyit! Bitch ain't got but two dollars."

(When I first reviewed this book, I gave it 0.5 stars. I've realized since then that NOTHING could ever make this book worth even a half of a star, not a cute story [in certain, very sparse, parts] or a funny line or a clever character. Nothing.)

description

Below, I'm going to include some memorable status updates of mine and some snapshots of margin notes:

Status Update 1: ""With his ear for languages, Mortenson soon had a basic Balti vocabulary." This is what I'm sure Relin meant by this sentence: "With his astounding ability to do everything he desired, including his outstanding ear for languages, within days, Mortenson was magnificently able to develop a large and complex vocabulary of the Balti people, which he was able to speak flawlessly." That's what the rest of it is like..."

Status Update 2: "'The snout of the Baltoro Glacier lay at the bottom of a canyon, black with debris and sculpted to a point like the nose of a 747.' Really? 'Like the nose of a 747?' I don't think anyone knows what that is. I think 'like a G6' would be more relatable to modern society."

Status Update 3: "Wow. If I look past the glaring errors and factual mishaps and exaggerations and over-detailing and overused words and complete and utter bias and misused adjectives and inexplicably long sentences and blatantly hyperbolized heroism and tragic characterization, this isn't bad!"

Status Update 4: "This book has Irrefutably Biased Syndrome: "If Mortenson had known how scarce and precious sugar was to the Balti, how rarely they used it themselves, he would have refused the second cup of tea." Which, of course, is blatantly insinuating that Mortenson had the manners of a saint and was completely acceptable with leaving the sugar to the Balti. Relin is inferior."

Status Update 5: "Okay. In nonfiction, don't quotes have to be exact? There's no freakin' way Mortenson remembers everything everyone said as if it were five minutes ago."

Status Update 6: "Finally! Something Mortenson's NOT good at! *forehead wipe*"

Status Update 7: "Why does he keep going back and forth between America and Pakistan? You'd think the airfare expenses are dwindling away what little he has left of his savings. Not a very smart investment, if you ask me."

Status Update 8: "I'm going to start calling you Morty. "Dear Morty, I didn't pick this book up by choice, but if I did, I wouldn't have picked it up to hear about the prosperity of your love life. But thanks for sharing (NOT). Sincerely, A Disturbed Reader."

Status Update 9: "'Mortenson arranged to go back home and see his wife, Tara, whom was expected to deliver their first child within a month. He gets kidnapped by misunderstanding people. Mortenson is rescued by kind men who arrange a party thrown in his occasion and who give him money for his schools to be built.' That was the value of the entire twenty-page chapter. Literally. And you wonder why I hate this book?"

Status Update 10: "Aw! That was a cute scene. (That's probably all the positive you'll get about this book.)"

Status Update 11: ""'I promise,' Mortenson said, adding the burden of another vow to the weighty collection of oaths old men kept making him take." That might just be the most clever line I've read thus far."

Status Update 12: "Dang! Morty just reached into some chick's uterus."

Status Update 13: "Chocolate would help right now. Chocolate always helps."

MARGIN SNAPSHOTS: Photos Taken of Memorably Cruel Comments

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

May 29, 2011 – Shelved
June 1, 2011 – Started Reading
June 22, 2011 –
page 57
16.33% "Read: 57. Annotated: 7. This annotation thing is HARD! Why is there an unavoidable and rather insolent need for us to take notes in this? It makes me feel stupid and like teachers are implying that we have insufficient memories!\n If we have to write a paper on this book, I'm going to go ballistic.\n Book-wise, it's not as abhorrent as I've heard; the detail of Relin's prose makes me want to gag in certain passages."
July 14, 2011 –
page 57
16.33% "In this first run-through, I'm just going to quickly summarize the events in each chapter. Then, on my second run-through (after I buy mini sticky-notes), I'm going to add predictions, evaluations, comments, questions, etc."
July 14, 2011 –
page 17
4.87% "In this first run-through, I'm just going to quickly summarize the events in each chapter. Then, on my second run-through (after I buy mini sticky-notes), I'm going to add predictions, evaluations, comments, questions, etc."
page 22
6.3% "I'm getting really sick of the word (or, more aptly, the name) "Mortenson." Relin uses it every five words, and I'm hesitant to say it's my least favorite name now."
page 22
6.3% ""With his ear for languages, Mortenson soon had a basic Balti vocabulary."\n \n This is what I'm sure Relin meant by this sentence: "With his astounding ability to do everything he desired, including his outstanding ear for languages, within days, Mortenson was magnificently able to develop a large and complex vocabulary of the Balti people, which he was able to speak flawlessly."\n That's what the rest of it is like..."
page 22
6.3% "'The snout of the Baltoro Glacier lay at the bottom of a canyon, black with debris and sculpted to a point like the nose of a 747.' Really? 'Like the nose of a 747?' I don't think anyone knows what that is. I think 'like a G6' would be more relatable to modern society."
page 23
6.59% "I just read a sentence that was too long to fit in a status update, I sh*t you not."
page 27
7.74% "Used to the pagination of teen books, reading this is killing my eyes (WHERE'S ALL THE FRIENDLY WHITE SPACE I USED TO KNOW?! *sob*)"
page 27
7.74% "Wow. If I look past the glaring errors and factual mishaps and exaggerations and over-detailing and overused words and complete and utter bias and misused adjectives and inexplicably long sentences and blatantly hyperbolized heroism and tragic characterization, this isn't bad!"
page 28
8.02% "This book has Irrefutably Biased Syndrome: "If Mortenson had known how scarce and precious sugar was to the Balti, how rarely they used it themselves, he would have refused the second cup of tea." Which, of course, is blatantly insinuating that Mortenson had the manners of a saint and was completely acceptable with leaving the sugar to the Balti. Relin is inferior."
page 34
9.74% "OMIGOSH I'm almost 1/10 of the way through this disaster. Hopefully, my opinion on it will change in the upcoming chapters."
page 35
10.03% "Okay. In nonfiction, don't quotes have to be exact? There's no freakin' way Mortenson remembers everything everyone said as if it were five minutes ago."
page 39
11.17% "I don't feel sorry for him."
page 40
11.46% "GAY HATE! :o"
page 47
13.47% "Is it bad that this book is starting to grow on me? I want to hate it, I really do, but I just can't! I don't know why! (And, no, I'm not irrefutably in love with it by any means; it's just getting progressively better.)"
page 63
18.05% "Finally! Something Mortenson's NOT good at! *forehead wipe*"
July 25, 2011 –
page 70
August 4, 2011 –
page 80
22.92% "Getting slow again. I don't give two ****s about Dervla Murphy, and I definitely don't want you (and when I say "you," I mean Relin) to explain her entire biography in great depth and detail, no I don't. I don't feel like reading this anymore."
August 4, 2011 –
page 83
23.78% "Thank God I only have about 20 pages until I'm 1/3 of the way through this travesty of a book."
August 5, 2011 –
page 91
26.07% "I'm suspicious..."
August 5, 2011 –
page 95
27.22% "Changazi is a rude man."
page 125
35.82% "Why does he keep going back and forth? You'd think the airfare expenses are dwindling away what little he has left of his savings. Not a very smart investment, if you ask me."
page 136
38.97% "I'm going to start calling you Morty. "Dear Morty, I didn't pick this book up by choice, but if I did, I wouldn't have picked it up to hear about the prosperity of your love life. But thanks for sharing (NOT). Sincerely, A Disturbed Reader."
page 136
38.97% "http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles... This book is getting a thorough ****-pounding when I'm done. It's not going to leave my hands unscathed. *dramatic music*"
August 12, 2011 –
page 144
41.26% "Relin writes Mortenson very pretentiously."
August 15, 2011 –
page 154
44.13% "Okayyyyyyyyyy...yyyyyyyyyyy."
page 174
49.86% ""Mortenson arranged to go back home and see his wife, Tara, whom was expected to deliver their first child within a month. He gets kidnapped by misunderstanding people. Mortenson is rescued by kind men who arrange a party thrown in his occasion and who give him money for his schools to be built." That was the value of the entire twenty-page chapter. Literally. And you wonder why I hate this book?"
page 176
50.43% "Aw! That was a cute scene. That's probably all the positive you'll get, give or take."
page 177
50.72% ""'I promise,' Mortenson said, adding the burden of another vow to the weighty collection of oaths old men kept making him take." That might just be the most clever line I've read thus far."
page 179
51.29% "Dang! Morty just reached into some chick's uterus."
page 184
52.72% "If I had a million dollars..."
page 184
52.72% "YES!!! I am officially over halfway through!! *rejoice*"
August 21, 2011 –
page 201
57.59% "Chocolate would help right now. Chocolate always helps."
August 22, 2011 –
page 241
August 23, 2011 –
page 275
August 23, 2011 –
page 349
100.0% "THANK THE LORD! I'M DONE WITH THIS TRAVESTY! :D"
August 23, 2011 – Shelved as: doesnt-deserve-publication
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: purple-prose
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: main-character-deserves-death
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: deathly-long-descriptions
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: doesnt-deserve-the-goodreads-rating

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)

message 1: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza d'ya know that the author actually fabricated lots of stuff in the book? there's this new book called 'three cups of deceit' that sheds light on the whole matter. i was sorta shocked!

hayden I didn't know his fabrications were true, but I knew the truthness factor was in question. Thanks for letting me know!

Ally I can't tell what's lies and I can barely find stuff to annotate! Ugh this is gonna be BORING

message 4: by John (new)

John Egbert Wow...you have a lot of status updates...

I'll mark this as a mental note on my "never-to-read" list...it really does look awful and you haven't even written the review yet D:

hayden I'm almost there. Believe me, when I'm done, you'll avoid it like the bubonic plague.

message 6: by TG (new)

TG lol

hayden Palice: Yep. They cram the text in really small on the pages to make you think otherwise.

message 8: by TG (new)

TG im not readin that boook

message 9: by TG (new)

TG :)

message 10: by TG (new)

TG same

hayden Palice wrote: "Yes, chocolate does always help.

Shahid, from what I know, is an Arabic word, and it can mean something like watching or seeing or witness -- depending on how or where it's used. Unless they meant..."

Yeah. Imagine what it's like when there's a reference or two every page.

message 12: by John (new)

John Egbert Okay yeah, I think I'd rather swallow a nuclear warhead than read this. With that metaphor about Africa...no. Just no. I've been, and you know what? The only thing I can say about it is that there is lots of smoke (everybody and their mama is a nicotine addict, it seems like) and car pollution. For sure, it smells better than the residence I currently abide, so stop picking on one of the most awesome places in the world dude >:(

OH GOD I KNOW! I flipping hate that! Now I'm really going to be running away from this book. (Homeschooled kid here, so thankfully my parents are in a position to weed out all the bullshit I have to read so I don't have to deal with that.)

hayden That sounds amazing. I really wish I could unread this book.

Maddee I have 2 chapters left, but i can honestly say with out thinking of the fabrications this book is good to me. My brother is in the military and im about peace so to me if tells of the othersides story. Yes, i know some if not most is a fabrication, but to me its their story. Not Greg's, but Pakistan's their pain, their sorrow, and their battles.

hayden Maddee wrote: "I have 2 chapters left, but i can honestly say with out thinking of the fabrications this book is good to me. My brother is in the military and im about peace so to me if tells of the othersides st..."

That's great that you like it! I'm sure you'll have a much easier time in the class than I will. ;)

message 16: by Haleema (new)

Haleema My God. Was it that horrible?!

hayden Haleema wrote: "My God. Was it that horrible?!"

Yes, yes it was. :)

message 18: by Haleema (new)

Haleema "Mortenson put his hands on the shoulders of Sadhar Khan's brown robe, as he'd done a decade earlier, among other mountains, with another leader, named Haji Ali, conscious, not of the gunmen still observing him through their sniperscopes, nor of the shahid (a word not defined) stones, warmed to amber by the sun's late rays, but of the inner mountain he'd committed, in that instant, to climb."

LMAO. Wow. He's a Commanist.

message 19: by John (new)

John Egbert The added pictures are hilarious!

hayden Mello wrote: "The added pictures are hilarious!"

Thanks!

hayden Sorry! Which part caused that? :)

hayden Palice wrote: "Lol, the pictures are awesome!"

Thanks, Pallice!

message 23: by Aleeeeeza (new)

Aleeeeeza The prose of the book is more purple than Barney, and I think that speaks for itself

LOLOLOLOLOL

message 24: by Zoe (new) - rated it 1 star

Zoe dude. that's an insane and bitchen review!!

message 25: by Greg (new)

Greg Highly entertaining and informative review. This book appeared on our shelf last year; a loan to my wife. I had no interest in reading it then, but just looking at the examples you give of the prose tells me I wouldn't make it ten pages.

message 26: by Bj (new) - rated it 1 star

Bj As an English teacher, I have to tell you that the only reason I'm happy I tortured myself by reading this book, is that I got to read your notes and review, and laugh hysterically reading parts of your review out loud to my husband (a math teacher). We read it as part of a book club for some teachers at the school where we both teach.

I can honestly say that your review is 1000 times better than the book and I enjoyed it 100 times more than the book. I couldn't believe when I read that you were only 14 years old...I would love to have students in my class that put as much thought and effort, not to mention have the insights that you do, into reading. Great job! I hope you got 100% on this assignment?

message 27: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Hartshorn wow--you said it all, doesn't deserve the .5 star either!

message 28: by Cora (new) - rated it 1 star

Cora My God, this review is awesome! LOL
I think I'm going to stop reading the book and just remember your notes.
Who is making me read this book??
NOBODY
There is my answer!
Thank you!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for this. I enjoyed reading your commentary much more than the handful of pages of the actual book that I managed to plough through. Horribly writing.

Amber Berry NO book should be burned.

Natalie Thank you for this review! Seriously, it was about a thousand times as entertaining in the book in like the first paragraph. Completely agree with everything you said.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cook I may never read this book, but I sure loved your review!

Virgie I have to agree on the overuse of Mortenson

message 34: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Hayden, this review made my day. I absolutely hated this book, but have the bad habit of having to finish books, even the tedious torturous ones. The writing made me want to wretch and I spent a good part of the time rolling my eyes. This was BEFORE I knew how much of the story was fabricated. If you haven't already, please read "Three Cups of Deceit". I adore Jon Kraukauer and MAN is he pissed off! The pictures of your notes, particularly the "I DON'T CARE" across the page made me laugh out loud. Cheers to you, young one!

message 35: by Karen (new) - rated it 1 star

Karen Hartshorn I really hated this book too! There are a couple of reviews on it that are much better than that book. I can't even give my copy away--- it would be much too embarassing.

message 36: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ "The storage space smelled like Africa." --> .... WHAT. O_o I've been on the fence over whether or not to read this, but from the excerpts you posted I'm not sure if I could take it. Yikes.

message 37: by Rock (new) - added it

Rock Angel Man those are awesome flames in your review! Now, seriously:

I would love to see a user-contributing "fact" category available for non-fiction books as a new feature, but it didn't fly:

(bottom of thread, Aug 24, 2011)

I keep hearing about ppl extolling Mortenson's heroism long after it'd been proven fictitious and I think a "fact" category would be helpful (non-fiction books only of course).

What do you think?

message 38: by Shelley (new)

Shelley you're 14? i thought no one in your age bracket read any more. not only that but you're a great writer. thank you for restoring my faith in the next generation.

hayden Shelley wrote: "you're 14? i thought no one in your age bracket read any more. not only that but you're a great writer. thank you for restoring my faith in the next generation."

Hi, Shelley! I was 14 when I read and reviewed this amazing book (*snickers*), but I'm 16 now.

hayden Rock wrote: "Man those are awesome flames in your review! Now, seriously:

Sorry it took me so long to find this, Rock! I think this is a great idea, though! I say keep pushing.

message 41: by Rock (new) - added it

Rock Angel Hayden wrote: "... Rock! I think this is a great idea, though! I say keep pushing"

Do add a comment on the thread to support me! Now that Goodreads is sold (so sad) maybe they'll have resources to implement new features :)

message 42: by Rock (new) - added it

Rock Angel For those interested in girls' education in Afghanistan there are other groups on the same plight:

message 43: by Joe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joe Williams This might be the best review ever.

hayden Thanks, Joe!

Zuluisa Maybe it had some grammar issues. But, to me, is really an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING book.I fully enjoyed reading it. It really touched me. This book is one of my favorites.

message 46: by Jayse (new)

Jayse Why did you read it?

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆ Mortenson put his hands on the shoulders of Sadhar Khan's brown robe,

Thanks Hayden. I learned something! Robes have shoulders! ;O

Well, amber is made from dead tree resin and ranges from 30 ~ 90 million years old. AND is the byproduct of death.

I wonder what that says about this books message. Kill everyone and wait 30 ~ 90 million years for change? Hmmm...

message 48: by Rock (last edited Oct 01, 2013 11:25PM) (new) - added it

Rock Angel I watched Burka Avenger, the Action/Comedy/Superhero cartoon about kids defending girls going to school in Pakistan. The first episode is English subtitled. Lots of music and some street dancing ...

Oh yea the heroine is an acrobat who fought with books, and pencils... So nerdy yet so cute

message 49: by Prin (new) - rated it 1 star

Prin Blake Most of the stuff in the book is not true.

message 50: by Prin (new) - rated it 1 star

Prin Blake Lots of the stuff in the book is made up, fiction.

« previous 1