Jeanette Grey's Reviews > My One and Only

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

May 29, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary

The central love story in this book is one of the better ones I've read in a while. I felt the characters - their mistakes, their passions, and above all their absolute love for each other. Estranged for twelve years, they were finding their way back to each other while simultaneously putting up every possible road block they could to keep themselves apart. My heart ached, my stomach twisted. When it was finally revealed, the details of their original parting just made everything hurt.

I wanted them to get together. I cared about them. I swooned. I fist-pumped.

The only problem with this book was ... everything else. And damn, but there was a lot of it.

The side characters. The side plots. The wonky humor. Instead of building the story up, it just distracted from what I thought was an incredibly compelling story. Still a good read. But I sigh when I think how it could have been a great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One and Only.

May 29, 2011 – Started Reading
May 29, 2011 – Shelved
May 29, 2011 –
26.0% "my tummy's all twisty. not quite sure what's going on yet but it's making me heartclenchy."
June 1, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 29, 2011 – Shelved as: contemporary

message 1: by ... (new) - added it

... Yeah, she has a way of doing that. It's too bad, too, cause I think she'd have some really strong books if she pared then down.