Sarah Schoesler's Reviews > I, Alex Cross

I, Alex Cross by James Patterson

May 29, 2011

liked it
Read from October 10 to 16, 2011

Throughout the entire book I kept thinking, yes, this is the Alex Cross thrillers that I like to read. Mystery, intrigue, twists and turns, never knowing what the next chapter would bring. We have the tragedy of Alex Cross' niece being murdered and mutilated. He is on the scene to solve her murder and soon finds out that there are some very powerful people involved. We have the cryptic messages from his buddy, Ned Mahoney, at the FBI which gives the story even more mystery. Then we also have the side conversations of the Vice President, the President's Chief of Staff, and the head Secret Service Agent trying to solve a connected mystery on their own. I couldn't wait to get to the end and see how all the different pieces fit together. Unfortunately I was disappointed. Yes, the murderer was revealed and in true Patterson fashion it wasn't anybody you would suspect. However, we never quite get the whole story. Who was invovled in covering up the murders? Why was a mobster family involved? Why were they mutilating the remains? Why was Caroline Cross' body being transported by a mobster instead of being buried at the site of mutilation like the others? It almost felt as if Patterson had a quota of pages to fulfill and once he got close he hurriedly revealed the killer and left it at that. I guess I wanted things a little more neatly tied together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I, Alex Cross.