Avery (Book Deviant)'s Reviews > The Inexplicable Logic of My Life

The Inexplicable Logic of My Life by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

it was ok
bookshelves: 2star

Hi everyone. I was recently contacted over my review of this book, and I'd like you all to know what happened. I received an email on Wednesday (8/23/17), by Sáenz about this review. He said that I had attacked his character by accusing him of handling rape badly, and that I had no right to do so, and that it was unfair. He also mentioned how I had read the book wrong. This was so horribly wrong.

I was not the first person to mention the rape scene. I am 17 years old. The review has been out for about half a year, as I had gotten an ARC from HMH to review. (So, FYI I was 16 when I wrote and posted the review.)I had even contacted HMH about this book, but was dismissed. I will no longer be supporting Sáenz, and if you would like to read the email, I have screenshots on my twitter. Him contacting me was not all right, and it should never happen to reviewers.

So. Check out my original review here if you want to see what Saenz was so upset about.

I would like to thank the people at Clarion/HMH Publishing for allowing me to have an ARC of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inexplicable Logic of My Life.

August 5, 2016 – Shelved
August 5, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2017 – Started Reading
January 9, 2017 –
page 47
10.4% "this is making me wanna reread ari and dante ;__; (there was an instance of saenz using the wording "emotionally anorexic" which bothered me though (fyi) )"
January 11, 2017 –
page 117
25.88% "okay, i'm like, seriously concerned with all of these really iffy comments. i hope theyre addressed within text, because seriously? "emotionally anorexic"? "Schizophrenic dork"? "It's a gender thing"?"
January 17, 2017 –
page 207
45.8% "this book reads so fast but I'm not finding lots of opportunities to actually sit down and READ. honestly im a little disappointed? its really character driven, but the plot is everywhere and there are A LOT of textual errors that are confusing. also, theres phrases like "emotional anorexic" & "schizophrenic dork" :/ like seriously? they keep bothering me even though they happened a while back"
January 20, 2017 –
page 297
65.71% "probs gonna finish this soon. have a few choice words but otherwise im content and happy i got to read it."
January 22, 2017 –
page 464
100% "rtc. im conflicted. and crying."
January 22, 2017 – Finished Reading