Benji's Reviews > Memories of My Melancholy Whores

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez

May 29, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 24-hours-read, creepy, read-in-morocco, strong-literary-value, the-less-you-know-the-better
Read in May, 2011

Read this one in two hours, it kept my interest engaged in the whole time and had a lot of power for so slim a novel. Another novel by him about getting old, but as GGM himself gets older these things become even more powerful. This work had several lines that gave me goosebumps in a big way. The style is not too different, but it was unusual to have him do a book in 1st person. Likewise, the same thing seems to be happening to him as it did with Jose Saramago -- the ever increasing focus on efficiency. Very lean storytelling, just a few choice details, etc. Very nice read. Low burden of proof because it goes by so fast.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memories of My Melancholy Whores.

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly what does "low burden of proof" mean?

Benji I heard David Foster Wallace use this term. The longer the book, the higher expectations that are placed on the writer because the audience is investing a great deal more time in it. So if there´s some kind of thesis, and the author tells you that he can´t do it in less than 800 pages, then you demand big returns. If a book takes two hours to read, though, the author´s allowed to get away with more drastic and less coherent writing because we won´t be as angry if it blows up and lands flat. :) hope you´re doing fine Joselito!

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Thanks!

Do you admit the possibility, however, that even if a book isn't really that exceptional, if it is long (say, a thousand pages or more), there is a much greater chance of it being liked by its readers because: 1. there will be more time for "bonding" between the reader and the book; 2. one's innate pride resists the admission that he had made the mistake of wasting his time (say, 11 months--the time it took one goodreads reviewer to finish reading Thomas Pynchon's Against the Day) reading a single book; 3. a long book is usually considered a masterpiece (sort of had already become a tradition started by the ancient epics and maybe those by Tolstoy, Dickens, etc.).

Hope you're fine too, Benji.