William's Reviews > Zima Blue

Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds

When Reynolds opens his heart, his mind obeys and he produces lovely mini-masterpieces: Enola (here), Turquoise Days, Zima Blue (here) and Weather. Surely his finest works.

Mostly solid collection of stories here, with some true gems.

*** The Real Story
Good solid sci-fi. Familiar but nicely constructed. A good twist or two.

**** Beyond the Aquila Rift
Lovely story with a somewhat predictable but beautifully-realised plot.
Note: The animated version is very good in "Love, Death and Robots" from Netflix.

***** Enola *****
Exquisite, poignant, wonderful. When Reynolds opens his heart, his mind obeys and he produces lovely mini-masterpieces: Enola, Turquoise Days, Zima Blue and Weather. Surely his finest works.

*** Signal to Noise / Cardiff Afterlife - some clever tech, and a plot with echoes of Flowers for Algernon. Pretty good.

*** Hideaway / Minla's Flowers / Merlin's Gun - Merlin is not actually very sympathetic for most of this mini-trilogy. Very clever "gun" tech. But Minla is an all-too-modern tale of motives and means and actions that is truly sad. I did enjoy this series.

*** Angels of Ashes - Very clever and solid

*** Spirey and the Queen
Nice mini-space opera.

**** Understanding Space and Time
A story-based exposition 0f the deep quantum nature of reality, pretty good, but Superb first chapter makes it human and very good. I just heard "Rocket Man" by Elton John, made me smile and appreciate Reynold's serendipity!

** Digital to Analogue
Strained "super hip club scene" - Did not really work for me.

*** Everlasting
Another exposition on the multiverse (which is my view of reality as well), but a bit predictable with overstauratex dialogue.

***** Zima Blue *****
Wonderful, full of heart and introspection. Nicely presented and structured. A personal journey into the mystery of self. Reminds me a bit of "Flowers for Algernon" in many ways. A mini-masterpiece. I cried.

Note: Sadly, the animated version is very POOR in "Love, Death and Robots" from Netflix.

From Zima Blue

Yves Klein said it was the essence of colour itself: the colour that stood for all other colours. A man once spent his entire life searching for a particular shade of blue that he remembered encountering in childhood. He began to despair of ever finding it, thinking he must have imagined that precise shade, that it could not possibly exist in nature. Then one day he chanced upon it. It was the colour of a beetle in a museum of natural history. He wept for joy.’

NOTE: Please, please also read Turquoise Days, a novella, and short stories Enloa, Weather, and Zima Blue. Surely his finest works, along with House of Suns.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zima Blue.

Quotes William Liked

Alastair Reynolds
“Do you have to sound so damned indifferent to it all? Here we are talking about how we're likely to be dead in a few hours and you're acting like it's only a minor inconvenience.
~"Spirey & the Queen”
tags: death

Alastair Reynolds
“Life is precious. Infinitely so. Perhaps it takes a machine intelligence to appreciate that."
tags: life

Alastair Reynolds
“I'll die? I'm going to die anyway, so what difference does it make?"She paused, allowing the melancholic chorus of the machines to swell and fill the room. "Probably by the end of the week. And all I've got to look forward to is the inside of this room or the view out this window. At least let me see something different."

Alastair Reynolds
“There has been much debate on the matter, but the present state of understanding is that no useful information can ever emerge from a black hole."

Alastair Reynolds
“...the next time you need a piece of apparently obscure information, try asking a science fiction writer. You might be surprised.”

August 4, 2016 – Started Reading
August 4, 2016 – Shelved
August 4, 2016 –
5.0% "Reynolds sure has a thing for six-legged beings. Hahaha"
August 6, 2016 –
18.0% "The Real Story.\n Good solid sci-fi. Familiar but nicely constructed. A good twist or two.\n \n Beyond the Aquila Rift. \n Lovely story with a somewhat predictable but beautifully-realised plot.\n \n Enola. \n Exquisite, poignant, wonderful. When Reynolds opens his heart, his mind obeys and he produces lovely mini-masterpieces: Enola, Turquoise Days, and Weather. Surely his finest works."
August 13, 2016 –
68.0% "Signal to Noise / Cardiff Afterlife - some clever tech, and a plot with echoes of Flowers for Algernon. Pretty good.\n\nHideaway / Minla's Flowers / Merlin's Gun - Merlin is not actually very sympathetic for most of this mini-trilogy. Very clever "gun" tech. But Minla is an all-too-modern tale of motives and means and actions that is truly sad. I did enjoy this series.\n\nAngels of Ashes - Very clever and solid"
August 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo Ah, I read this review late. I have read Merlin's Gun without reading the other two stories.

William Please, please also read Turquoise Days, a novella, and short stories Enloa, Weather, and Zima Blue. Surely his finest works, along with House of Suns

message 3: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo Enloa and Zima Blue is on the same book, no problem with that. I am still seeking Turquoise Days :)

message 4: by Rion (new) - added it

Rion Great comments, I've been looking for some good advice on returning to more of Reynolds work.

William Turquoise Days is usually bound with Diamond Dogs.

message 6: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo William wrote: "Turquoise Days is usually bound with Diamond Dogs."

Yes! I have seen one, when I haven't interested with AR stories yet. I still regret for my mistake didn't buy it at that day.

message 7: by William (last edited May 12, 2017 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

William My Turquoise Days is signed by Alastair with a nice spaceship drawing. One of my favourite books of all time.

message 8: by Jokoloyo (new)

Jokoloyo I envy your good fortune. :P

Jose  Seco Sanz Beyond the Aquila Rift was not predictable at all for me, and for now it's my favorite.

message 10: by William (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jose  Seco Sanz 😀👌

message 12: by William (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

William Netflix has a new series: Love Death + Robots

taken from short stories and novellas including Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue by Alastair.

Note: Sadly, the animated version of Zima Blue is very POOR in "Love, Death and Robots" from Netflix.