Candace Morris's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Jun 06, 2007

I started this book when I went to Europe for the first time, so Marquez accompanied me throughout France and Italy - and he was the truest of companions, offering me the most magical other-world. I love that One Hundred Years of Solitude made me feel just that - in delicious solitude.

This was a very stretching and very rewarding experience in literature for me because I usually cling like the dickens to plot line, names, and detailed family history - usually assuming that the author has included this for a reason. But, if you have read this - then you KNOW that you cannot possibly succeed at your initial reading if you insist on keeping all of the Aureliano's and Jose Buendia's straight. I tried desperately at first to do this, but found myself falling into the author's drippy language more and more - thereby loosening my type-A firm hold on the details; I do believe this is Marquez's purpose.

Marquez made me feel like I have never read anything least nothing quite like this. I look forward to more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica so what of his are you moving onto next?